We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bone fishing

burns
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bone fishing

My husband likes to bone fish. Is there any around Barbados? If so, where is the best place to bonefish?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bone fishing

Is this also known as Tarpon? If so you can fish for them in Barbados. Assume you can rent a boat but don't know where?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bone fishing

I have Googled Bone Fish and it doesn't seem to be found in Barbados waters according to the information given . However I shall ask a fisherman friend if he has ever heard of one.

Damasust-- A Tarpon seems to be a much bigger fish all together.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bone fishing

Contact Martyn at IOU Charters,

6 Hope Park, Middleton, St. George,

Barbados, West Indies.

Tel: (246) 429 1050

Cell: (246) 238 9638

Don't know if he's still doing them but he was a couple of years back on the east coast.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,985 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bone fishing

I think you are correct Westie but I think Tarpon and Bone Fish have similarities and tend to feed in similar waters. As such if you can get Tarpon in Barbados you might get Bone Fish. I don't think they are great to eat so we don't hear much about them.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 11:38
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bone fishing

Yes Damasust, it says they follow Rays as do Tarpins.. I have contacted my friend and if they are there, he will know.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bone fishing

Delelbug ---------you will be pleased to hear that Barbados does indeed have Bone Fish in it's waters. Happy Fishing !

ps sorry about my sp re Tarpons !!

Edited: 28 May 2014, 14:50
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bone fishing

Dedelbug---- I have now asked where the best place is to Bone Fish, and what type of boat is necessary for you to fish from ie a small working fishing boat or similar, or an expensive Deep Sea Fishing boat,( though that seems unlikely.)

I'll post when I hear.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bone fishing

One of the worlds great game fish - the Bone fish - famed for scorching fast runs when hooked and usually fished for on the shallow water flats of the Bahamas, Bermuda or the Florida Keys - inhabits most of our shoreline. Not being edible, the Bone fish is not fished for commercially so a good stock of fish roam the spectacular East coast beaches were we fish. Fishing is always on a rising tide up to high tide which of course changes daily and dictates the time we fish. Barbados Bone fishing is unique because instead of the usually fly fishing from a boat on the flats, we cast from the beach, catching the fish in the surf.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bone fishing

That's good info Jane, I thought from what I have read it would be caught from the shore,

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bone fishing

Well I have just spoken to my fishing expert, and a Bone Fish is known as a Salmon p ( meaning fake, just a relative !!) in Barbados.-------it's very rarely seen, and not usually caught as it is too bony to eat. They stick close to the shore, therefore are best caught from the beach as Jane's info stated.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 16:03