We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

What will it take for the police to properly police the Gap.They have been pussy footing around for years.The Gap is a vibrant place to go when you visit the island,but if its not safe Tourists will stay away. i know the area has become notorious for drug pushers,and that will always lead to violent crime,you may say without the need by certain tourists for drugs ,there would be no pushers.The police must come down hard on buyers and pushers,and keep the tourists they have now.I feel very sad to see a country I love in this situation

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Very well said.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Funny thing is there really isn't much police presence that I've seen. The presence of police more frequently would go a great length to deter visitors and locals from this sort of activity. I don't really care what people do with their own life, but when I'm on vacation I don't want to be harassed to buy "charlie" etc. Luckily any time it has happened, a simple no thanks was enough.

new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Wow I am sorry to hear about big drug problem in gap. I picked the gap area because it seemed like a lot of bars and restaurants walking distance to Dover beach. Is it safe . I have 2- 25 year olds travelling with me. I really didn't want drugs tempting them. I know this is carribean but we didn't have it in our faces in aruba or grand Cayman. I hope Barbados isn't like Jamaica.

4. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 12:41
Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Cimcruiser------------please don't worry about your children . If you or they, are offered drugs , as Steve says, just say no thanks! Bajans rarely push the point. I am sorry that the Gap is having this problem, but I'm sure it will not affect your holiday. Unfortunately, when times are hard, many countries have a similar problem, as I'm sure you realise as a resident of New York.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 20:14
Bloomington...
Level Contributor
66 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

We were never approached about drugs, but we were never at the Gap late at night so maybe that had something to do with it. We would sometimes be approached at other areas of the island by people selling souvenirs but once we said we were not interested they respected our wishes and immediately moved on. I suspect it is a lot less of a problem than in our United States where drugs are pushed everywhere, including in the schools. I felt a lot safer in Barbados than in the U.S. and I'd imagine the drug problem is a quantum leap worse here in the States than in Barbados.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

LifeJ -you are a great asset now to this forum - thanks!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Well said Life. We have never been approached in Barbados but have been in Florida (Sarasota-Bradenton area) a few times. Maybe we are just too old/not cool enough for the Bajan but not American dealers, I don't know. lol

Edited: 18 June 2014, 21:36
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

There has been more pushers than usual this year on the gap, the same people harass me night after night and there are a gang of 'youths' who hang around the Dover beach area every day and night who are very intimidating, making lewd comments to my partner and offering drugs to me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
386 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drugs problems seems to be escalating in the Gap

Best thing to do would be to make a complaint to the police. The station is just down the main road towards Bridgetown.