We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

island inn, nearby shops

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
island inn, nearby shops

Hello, am travelling to Barbados and starting this resort this saturday. The reviews on here are positive but im curious to know what restaurants and shops (for groceries) are fairly near by. Are there any shopping centres not the high end stuff but possibly would like to purchase some trainers whilst there.

Many thanks

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: island inn, nearby shops

You won't really need groceries if your stay is all-inclusive. If you need snacks there is a petrol station on the main road, walk up to the main road then turn right. It's just a few yards along.

You can walk into Bridgetown, the capital, or catch a very cheap bus ride into Bridgetown. There are shopping malls further away on the West Coast. Not sure where you are from but it's not like the shopping us UK folk get in the States with brands at bargain basement prices.

Have fun

W-D

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: island inn, nearby shops

Hi there, I am a brit. I know we're all inclusive but we like to have a rum in the room too and maybe a few snacks. I have been to the Bahamas and the mall I visited wasn't great. Soooo excited! Happy to eat home cooked bajan food but would like one luxury night at a nice restaurant. Thank you for your help :-)

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: island inn, nearby shops

Hi there, can I also ask if I can get pounds exchanged at the airport in arrivals in Barbados?Thank you

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
472 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: island inn, nearby shops

Re money I usually go to MSE and see which place offers me the best rate before we travel but normally buy US$ as they are widely accepted and can be used at other places in the Caribbean. Your change will be in Barbados Dollars when you make a purchase.

Are you aware you can't take rum from any other country into Barbados except Barbados Rum? There are also strict import laws on taking spirits and cigarettes into Barbados so don't fall foul of their laws.

There are duty free shops in Bridgetown selling rum but you will need your passport and immigration slip to buy.

The bar at Island Inn is open long hours so you could always take a tot of rum or two back to your room. IIRC the rooms have fridges.

Have a wonderful time. We LOVED the Island Inn.

W-D

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: island inn, nearby shops

If you are taking cash with you use the banks in Barbados, the exchange rate is better. Also take about $100 US dollars with you just to cover anything for your first day / night.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: island inn, nearby shops

Smileyinthesun

When coming to Barbados take USD and GBP from the UK. Don't purchase BBD in the UK as you can receive a much better rate in Barbados. If you purchase BBD in the UK the rate won't be nearly as generous and is currently around £1 to $3.13. In Barbados, you'll get about $3.34 currently for £1. If you take UK Traveller's Cheques, you'll get an even better rate. Currently it's $3.39 to £1. You can do the exchange at any of the several commercial banks on the island including CIBC First Caribbean International Bank, Republic Bank (Barbados) Ltd, First Citizen's Bank (Barbados) Ltd, Scotiabank or the RBC Royal Bank. They all have the same rates as set out by the Central Bank of Barbados.

I would recommend you get your USD from M&S Travel Money which is commission free with very competitive rates. Currently you get about $1.70 USD for £1. USD can be spent on the street in Barbados at $2 for $1 USD. However, in some stores/restaurants, you will receive anything between $1.95 and $1.98. Anywhere around $200 to $250 USD in small bills ($5s, $10s and $20s) should suffice to get you started and for tipping. Whatever USD you don't spend, you can either hold on to it for a future trip as it's a globally accepted currency, or you can sell it back to M&S.

Also take your credit/ Visa Debit cards.

Regards

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: island inn, nearby shops

I found a rather elderly sterling travellers cheque recently, so it is good to know I will be able to cash it in Barbados later in the year. I had heard they were being phased out and was worried I wasn't going to be able to cash it anywhere.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: island inn, nearby shops

Kirimist, you can always dash them back in Uk.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: island inn, nearby shops

I meant to say Cash not Dash.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: island inn, nearby shops

Thanks to all for all your help and advice. Flying tomorrow so excited :')