We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Flat/Calm Water Beaches

My wife and I are planning to spend a week in Barbados in a beach with calm/flat/hot water (NO WAVES). Which beach should we choose ?

Any idea about hotels at these places you recommend ?

We would like to stay close to supermarket and bus station, so we can go around the island in a budget way.

We heard West Coast has those types of beaches !?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Absolutely correct - the west coast Holetown area - across the road from the excellent supermarket -flat calm water 99% of the time - (if a a rare tropical storm occurred - that cancels everything - but these are few and far between! Buses run past the supermarket and mall all the time - easy inexpensive transportation anywhere on the island. Lots of restaurants and bars -

Hotels depend on your budget - and also the time of year (high seas on - winter is more expensive) - do you need a hotel or would a condo suit? Tight across the road from the Supermarket (Supercentre) is Tropical Sunset Apt. hotel - an inexpensive hotel with kitchen facilities - has a pool too and a restaurant next door, or would you want a 4* or 5* hotel - do need an idea of budget to be able to suggest places for you. You will love Barbados - a beautiful island with lots to see and do as well as being on the beach.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

To more or less guarantee the calm seas you are requiring then I agree with ASO, but for hot sea, you really need to be looking at August / September--------------although September can be very quiet, and you may find one or two hotels closed for Holidays

Have a look at Fairmont Royal Pavilion, Colony Club and Coral Reef, just north of Holetown, or Treasure Beach, The House or Tamarind Cove a little further south.

All these Hotels are on beautiful beaches on the west coast. However, if you want to be near a Supermarket and require self catering on the beach, then Tropical Escape is the one for you though it is not on the same level as the aforementioned Hotels.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 06:52
warrington
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

We have just booked Ixora apartments in Holetown, not on the beach but nor far and in a quite central position. Got a really good deal.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Thank you for your prompt response. Concerning our needs, hotel or condo will suit. However, we would like to stay on the beach. Again, we are looking for a calm/flat waters. Since we are not planning to rent a car, we would like to stay in a place close to supermarket, bars, and any other thing you may suggest. We are not looking for a fancy place. However, we would like to stay in a 3-4* hotel/condo. Sugestions/Comments ?

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
52 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Thank you for the tips. Do you think Coconut Beach Resort will fit our needs ? We are looking for a hotel/Condo on the beach (flat/calm water) close to supermarket, bars, bus stop. I look forward to hearing from you.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Coconut Beach Resort is not on the West coast, where the sea is traditionally calmer, especially in the Summer. I'm sure someone will be able to tell you about it though.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Why don't you check out the Radisson Aquatica Beach. It's on Barlisle Bay - very cam waters.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Hi Antonio - would recommend on the condos - Villas on the Beach (as I wrote previously) - in Holetown, West Coast - calm flat water - there are at least 3 new man made submerged reefs to stop any errant waves in that area - which is why I suggested Villas on the Beach these are definitely 4* condos - they have a pool too and are across the road from the supecentre (supermarket)t - think Tropical Sunset may not be upscale enough - probably only 3* certainly not 4* -You didn't say what time of the year you planned to go - Discovery bay is an All Inclusive (so no need to shop at the supermarket) so not sure this would appeal to you- but it is in Holetown - right on the beach and is 3*/4*- I agree Radisson is on a nice beach but it doesn't have a supermarket like Supercentre right across the road - and this seems to be one of your criteria - Since we live in some condos just up the beach from both Villas on the Beach and also Tropical Sunset - we really do know the area very well (have lived in our condo for nearly 26 years!)

Edited: 27 June 2014, 17:23
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Re Coconut Court .... yes the water is calm there and there is a little reef which attracts lots of fish. You can see them without even donning your snorkel. Downside, I'd say, is that it is stony getting into the sea so you need reef shoes for the first few yards. It's a basic, clean and functional hotel which is on a bus route and fairly close to shops, bars etc.

If you are considering the south coast then you might want to look at Coral Sands Beach resort as that will tick all of your boxes. I'd suggest Coral Mist too but I think you'd find the sea a bit too wavy there (not rough, just wavy) but which otherwise ticks your boxes.

I agree with Westie that the sea temp is highest in the August to October and it generally isn't as warm as I found it to be in Jamaica. Perfectly okay though.

Wherever you stay, have a great trip.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flat/Calm Water Beaches

Guarujá Sea Temperature Sao Paulo

(Today) 27th Jun 2014

22.2°C

72°F

Suggest you will find the sea temperature in Barbados a good deal warmer than S.P. Brazil - even in the winter the sea temp on the west coast is 80F - the guide books say it never gets cooler than that.