We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito repellent

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito repellent

Hi Were coming over to Barbados first two weeks in September and I am looking for some advise on mosquito/insect repellent. Various threads say use Deet, but unfortunately due to medications I am on I have been advised not to use Deet, could anyone please give any tips on what else I could use? I am coming over from U.K.

Many thanks

Gordon

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito repellent

If you can buy it in the UK Avon skin so soft Bug Guard plus Icaridin - should work -it can probably be bought on Amazon - Picaridin - believe it is more or less the same stuff.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito repellent

thanks for info

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito repellent

If you have a Home Bargains store look out for XPEL mosquito and insect repellent bands. They cost under £1 there otherwise look in Boots/Superdrug etc but you will pay a LOT more.

These don't say they contain Deet so you may be OK but it does say use in conjunction with other products. We, too, recommend the Avon Skin So Soft Dry Body Oil Spray. If you're able take to start taking a Vitamin B complex tablet each day about a month before travel and continue to take while you're away. There's something in them that mozzies don't like.

It's helpful to wear unscented deodorant and avoid any perfumed items/aftershaves/hair products and so on.

W-D

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito repellent

Contrary to some of the info above, is it worthwhile purchasing these types of items in BB or in the UK? We have a couple of half bottles left over from a previous holiday and were contemplating purchasing a new batch of anti mos deterrents.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
412 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito repellent

If your half bottles are still in date take them with you...remembering to apply before you get on the plane, then buy more over there if needed. Home Bargains have some 50% Deet very reasonable though!

W-D

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito repellent

We used 2 cans of Jungle Formula on our last trip and neither of us got a single bite in 2 weeks. We also burned citronella candles in our room and out on our balcony.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquito repellent

We used Autan with 20% Picaridin. We also took Incognito which contains Citrapel [a type of citronella], and used this aswell.

I took two bottles of each.

My husband always gets bitten a lot when we go abroad, I rarely do. He hates the feeling of DEET, and is concerned about the health effects of it, so I researched alternatives for Barbados.

We used both the Autan and Incognito, day AND night. We also took them out with us and topped them up during the day.

I didn't get any bites at all. My husband got one on his foot whilst walking on a beach, so I think it was probably a sandfly, not a mosquito.

I was concerned before we went, but we didn't have any problems.

Hope that helps.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquito repellent

If your husband's foot bite was bright red - yes - it was probably a sandfly - think they itch worse than a mossie

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquito repellent

Mozzie bite update. Been to Barbados and did extremly well on bites. Got two or maybe three. I purchased Incognito mozzie spray from Holland and Barrret and it seemed to do the job, it stinks though, but if it works its worth it. We also used Avon skin so soft at bed time.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquito repellent

I was interested in the Vitamin B complex to ward off mossies and went into Holland & Barrett to ask their advice. They said it was the vitamin B1 which can help and that would be better than taking the whole range of vitamin B.