We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been and don't know where to start

Toronto
Level Contributor
386 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Never been and don't know where to start

Hi we enjoyed our first self catering vacation last winter in Antigua - Jolly Harbour (a gated community) we are having trouble finding availability for March 2015 and are considering Barbados. Having never been and fairly new to self catering vacations we have found in reading some posts that we would like to be in the west coast for the calm waters. We found Antigua to be very safe and the locals very friendly. Starting to look at different options and feel a little over whelmed as to where to look. Beachfront would be ideal if affordable but a short walk would be ok too. I have looked into a few condos ie Villas on the Beach and having a hard time finding availability for March 2015 (we didn't book until the fall last year with no issues but this year is proving a little more difficult in July) we are open to villa/cottage rentals as well, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, is Barbados safe? We rented a car for a few days in Antigua and found it rather easy to get around or stop and ask for directions with no issues day or night.

1. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 18:14
Toronto
Level Contributor
386 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

Thank you, I've read all this in another post.

What I would like some help with is recommendations of self catering apartments, villas or cottages that are on or across from a beach, family friendly and safe on the west coast where the water is calm. I take it Holetown is the higher end area? We are not interested in night life, just clean accommodations with restaurants and grocery near by.

Thank you

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

About another 50 posts...

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

Take a look at Beach View not on the beach but walk to beach within minutes of a lovely beach.

Glad I didn't say anything re anothersadowner 's cutting and pasting my message box would have been full.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

Tropical sunset apartments are on the beach and you could also look at www.relaxingretreats.co.uk . Having visited Jolly beach villas and harbour area several times I think you would like Holetown or the Gap/Christchurch area as long as you are prepared to compromise the completely flat sea if you choose the latter.

Whilst we love Antigua and the jolly beach area both the above areas in Barbados have slightly more to offer and also have excellent local bus service for exploring the rest of the island.

Enjoy searching

Donna

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

Hi chicalaca,

Take a look at the homeaway or VRBO website.

I stayed in this lovely house called Beach Comber a couple of years ago. It is very central in Holetown and only a few minutes walk from all the shops, restaurants and bars and 5 minute walk over to St.James Beach. I can highly recommend it.

www.homeaway.co.uk/p847754…

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,316 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

Apologies .... when you said you had never been to the island -so provided a general overview.

If you want convenience - stay in Holetown area - Beach View is not handy - unless you wish to be getting on and off buses.

Holetown is convenient to everything - plus having calm seas - concur with Tropical Sunset - also Villas on the Beach -

If you want to take a walk to the beach - then you could look at properties in the Sunset Crest subdivison - but being residential there are no sidewalks, and lighting is poor to non existent at night -

There is also the Jamestown Pk residential subdivision - there too you can find rental property, and it is nearer than most Sunset Crest rentals.

Barbados is a very safe island, providing one uses normal common sense - Enjoy your research.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 18:23
West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

That is not quite true about the Sunset Crest area. It is a nice residential area with many nice property rentals

There are grass verges for the public to walk along and the house that I pointed out above sits in the road just behind the shopping mall and is very well lit.

You will get much more for your money by renting just within a short walk of the beach, especially if you want the West coast position.

Toronto
Level Contributor
386 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

thank you all, this is what I was looking for

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been and don't know where to start

chicalaca

There are lots of nice properties on those websites and you can check the availability on there for March too. It is worth taking a look and if you search under the St.James area you will find lots to choose from. If you see something you like the look of you could always come back on here and ask peoples opinions etc.