We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

Lansdale, PA
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

Hello! We're thinking of staying at the Mango Bay next year. I'm looking at March - is it likely we'd be "rained out"? (I know there are brief daily showers in the Caribbean - I don't mean those, of course...)

Also, is Mango Bay on the West coast (where the water is calmer?) I'm prone to seasickness, but don't want to miss the opportunity to participate in some of the watersports offered that involve boat rides...

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Katy

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

Since we live next door to Mango Bay - I can answer

Yes it is on the west coast in Holetown

Yes - March is a "good "month - rainy season is theoretically summer and autumn - but no guarantees are offered by Mother Nature - a lot of rain is highly unlikely but short showers occasionally are the norm.

Yes - sea is calm Govt spent - tens of thousands we would imagine to restore the west coast beaches in the Holetown area - building new submerged reefs (made with imported Nova Scotia granite!) - to tame any errant waves.

Holetown is a great area with lots and lots of restaurants and bars to suit all price ranges - we have lived there for 26 years (long before Mango Bay was built) -

If you are thinking of staying in Mango Bay AI - suggest you definitely think of an upgrade as their standard rooms are in the "back block" which can be noisy specially on weekends - so suggest at very minimum an upgrade into the leased condos next door at Palm Beach which doesn't receive the street noise from 1st and 2nd streets (we live in the condos so we know of what we speak)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

You should be fine in March. The rainy season is roughly June to November, though weather is a fickle thing and of course there are no guarantees. We have visited the island over 20 times at different times of the year, even in the rainy season but have never had a full day rained off.

The west coast is generally the calmer though on rare occasions the south coast can be the calmer of the two.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
714 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

We spent three weeks march just gone and lost most of one day to rain and had a brief shower during one of the T20 matches and that was about it.

Love that time of year.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
864 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

It is unlikely to have more than one day of continuous rain in Barbados even in the wet season.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

As the others have said, there are no guarantees with the weather. Over the years, we have visited the Caribbean at a variety of times. Sometimes, it has been wetter in the dry season than the wet season lol. One thing is for sure though - Barbados has many things to do if it rains on the odd day. Usually though the sun comes back out after brief showers. I've noticed that a lot of rain seems to fall at night/very early morning so it isn't a huge problem.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

You can look at statistics, hear from people who live/holiday in any particular place but you cannot be sure of the weather. My favourite months are March and late November but any time is lovely in Barbados.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,376 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

Yes we concur with Jane re: the weather - we love March and April (because our pool gets chilly in Jan Feb - but has warmed up again by then!!!) and November because the pool is still warm from the summer! :) But as all have said - whatever the weather Barbados is always lovely! :))))) Enjoy

Edited: 29 July 2014, 18:22
Lansdale, PA
Level Contributor
81 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

Thank you all so much!

9. Re: When to travel to avoid a rain-soaked holiday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:15