We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

*~*~*~* Hatchling Release Invitation *~*~*~*

Time: 6:15 pm

We will have the pleasure of releasing over 100 Hawksbill hatchlings tonight (August 14th) and as always we would love to have YOU join us. The hatchlings will be released at Drill Hall this is the beach opposite the Garrison Savannah. The beach access is located between the Police station (blue building) and the Barbados Defense Force.

Bring your entire family and learn more about this remarkable species as we usher these little ones to the start of their new lives.

You can support the work of the project through a donation or the

t-shirts and books we'll have for sale . If you need any more information or directions, please call the turtle hotline at 230-0142.

We look forward to seeing you there!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Wish I could be there to see it.

Babiface

Can you tell me how often hatchlings are released? Is it seasonal? Any chance we may see it when we're next in Bim in a February?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Bimfan, they are always posted on here http://www.barbadosseaturtles.org

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Almatt

Thank you for the link. Sadly for us the season finishes in October.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Yes ... But I think climate change is blurring the laying and hatching seasons .... Have seen laying in November and hatchlings, so you never know!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Bimfan,

I have seen the release of turtles two years on the trot in February. Feb just gone my first morning walking to the beach i saw a hatchling on a car park so picked it up and put it into the sea. A few day's later there was a scheduled release on Accra beach so yes more than likely you will get to see this brilliant occasion.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Brett

Fingers crossed!

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

I will be back in Bim next February and if i hear about a release i will tell you on here.

Kent. UK
Level Contributor
537 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

We were lucky to see 150 Hawksbill Turtle hatch-lings release in Holetown (beach next to the Beach House) on 9th August, a fantastic experience for the entire family. The people responsible for the release were very enthusiastic about this project and answered all the questions about turtles. Apparently the survivors should return to a beach within 1 km of the release location to lay their eggs when mature (20/40 years later!) Sadly only 1 in a thousand hatch lings will get to this stage of their life cycle.

On return to our villa at Merlin Bay there had been a natural hatch of turtles on the beach the same evening. We were also fortunate to see two Hawksbill Turtles laying eggs at Merlin Bay, one in the evening and one early morning (apparently these are both unusual times as most egg laying is done at night). These events were reported to the project team.

Sadly we were also informed poaching of the eggs is still a significant problem.

If you get the chance top see a release its a really worthwhile experience especially for the youngsters.

Burnley
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Hi

I am in Barbados between 15th-30th September, do you have any realeases scheduled? Where would I find out if there was nearer to the time?

Thanks!! :-)

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Hatchling release this evening ... 14th Aug

Click on Almatt's link # 2