We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money and Resturants

Suffolk
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Money and Resturants

Whats the best money to use Barbados dollars or US.

Is The Cliff restaurant worth the money and is it far to walk from Barbados Club and Spa. Has anyone any other recomendations for eating out.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money and Resturants

US dollars are accepted but you get change in a Bajan dollars.

We love the Cliff worth every penny, the food and service are excellent.

The Fish Pot up near Speightstown is well worth a visit , Daphne's is another good choice.

It is too far to walk from the Club to the Cliff.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money and Resturants

Can anyone recommend Tides? I know it's near the Club and Spa.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 14:02
West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money and Resturants

Yes I would recommend Tides. It is a lovely upscale restaurant. It is within a 5 minute walk of The Club.

Book well in advance and ask for a rail side table.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money and Resturants

45 Jen

Definitely don't buy any BBD in the UK to bring here. Bring USD and GBP and change the GBP in the local banks.

The Cliff is $245 for two courses or $285 for three courses which makes it the most expensive place to eat in Barbados right now. If you can afford that, go. Otherwise, stick to somewhere less pretentious and more affordable with high quality food such as Fish Pot or Champers or Tides.

Regards

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money and Resturants

I don't think the Cliff is pretentious. It is an experience rather than just a meal. I certainly go for the whole experience - the setting, the service, the atmosphere and the food - rather than just the food and I think it is a lovely place to go (if you want to spend that sort of money) for a special occasion.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money and Resturants

I have never found it pretentious either.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money and Resturants

I totally agree with Kirimist and JaneE. The Cliff is my favourite restaurant and it is an 'experience' because the setting and the food is second to none.

I used to think the waiters were a bit 'stuffy' a few years back but now they seem to be a lot more relaxed and they are more friendly.

It is a special place.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money and Resturants

Yes, a special place, which just happens to be the most expensive place to eat on the island. $490 BBD for two course dinner for two not including drinks is beyond steep. In fact, I know a couple who dined there recently whose bill including service for two - two cocktails, one bottle of wine, food was $840 BBD.

I reckon you can get a much better experience, atmosphere and value for money elsewhere.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Money and Resturants

There must be a reason the Cliff is always booked up!

We have paid more for dinner at The Tides and Sandy Lane and not enjoyed the experience as much as The Cliff experience. I guess many of the people who frequent the Cliff do not look at the bill they just go for fine dining with a wonderful ambiance.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money and Resturants

As has been said, The Cliff is pricey but very special IMO. From the food to the setting and decor to the "invisible" (not pretentious) service it really is a memorable experience. Possibly some of the patrons may be a bit pretentious, but I've never been treated in anything other than a very friendly way by managers, hosts and waiters alike. You'll often find your water/ wine etc topped up and never have noticed it happening. That, to me, is good service, unlike some of the other places whose waiters don't mind interrupting (without even waiting for a pause in conversation) in the name of "good" service with constant queries as to whether you want one of several oils with your bread, reading glasses, flashlights, more water, more wine, to hang your handbag....