We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruises

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Cruises

I know this is not the forum for cruises, but could anyone help me locate a good forum to read. We are thinking of, maybe, taking a Caribbean cruise and do not know which liner/packages are good. I know there are a lot of half price adverts in the papers at the moment and it could be a mine field!

Thanks in advance.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,193 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruises

It is ok to ask questions about cruises here.

Carnival is the world's leading brand in Cruise Ships. They have almost 40% marketshare according to a leading survery. Everyone cruises with Carnival.

Here's a good scenario, visit Barbados for two weeks. Carnival Destiny currently departs Barbados on Wednesdays. It goes from here to Aruba, to Puerto Rico, to St. Thomas USVI, to Dominica to Barbados.

You can arrive the Monday, leave the Wednesday, return the following Wednesday and depart the following Monday. Carnical Destiny is a lovely ship.

www.carnival.com

Royal Caribbean International also does some excellent trips that take you to Miami, Bahamas, Jamaica etc. They also own the world's largest cruise ship, the Freedom of the Seas.

Javon

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruises

The itin for the Carnival Destiny changes in January.. from Barbados it sails to St. Lucia, Antigua, Day at Sea, San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica and back to Barbados.

The cabin space is limited from Barbados only about 35 cabins on every sailing. So much is already sold out.

the ship itself is being chartered by the Cricket World Cup for the Entire month of April 2007.

Trip Advisor now has a message board for Cruises. I would also, if allowed, to recommend Cruisecritic.com as a source of information as well. There is also a forum in the UK.. Shiphappens.com and also travelpage.com that has a cruise forum attached as well.

happy cruising.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruises

regarding agents in Uk, most of the high street normal travel agents will still cover cruises so I would let them do some of the ground work for you. The 50% offers are generally at the first announcements of the routes.......its the opposite of say a beach holiday package where you get your deals nearest the departure date.

I don't know if this helps but we booked our NCL cruise from NYC down to Bahamas a couple of years ago with a guy called Nigel from "The Cruise and Travel Centre based in Doncaster". I think firstly to have to decide what type of ship you'd like....ie, Freestyling, which is more relaxed, you don't have to get too dreesed up of you don't want yet they do have the odd night if you want to do the ball gown thing......or Ocean Village (cheapy style cruise) or posh cruise where you have to dress to the nines each night etc.

Then work out which area/islands/ports you want to see. Then work out where they fly to. For example we had a night in NYC before cruise and paid extra for three nights after the cruises. Then decide which islands/stops offer the excurshions you fancy. Just DON'T be tempted to book during hurricane season for caribbean cruises, June through to November........we went in a September and we were sandwiched between Francis and Ivan and we had 2 major stops cancelled, which was a great disappopintment after flying all way from UK. Good luck.

4. Re: Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 06:28