We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macaroni Pie

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
997 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Macaroni Pie

What exactly is macaroni pie??

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macaroni Pie

It is macaroni/pasta and cheese baked as a pie basically, but there are many recipe's - every Barbadian has their own individual way of making it, from hot and spicy to sweet (yes with mayo and pineapple - it was yummy!)

barbados
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Macaroni Pie

it's macroni, cheese. a little ketchup, fiely cut sweet pepper, a little mustard, onions cook together and then baked in the oven , but as scary said eveyone's recipe is different.

give it a try you will enjoy it.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macaroni Pie

basically it's baked macaroni and cheese. a pie like this is more of an English thing than a north american thing where a pie is a sweet dish.

Scary is right however, even among bajans there form of macaroni pie is different. some use yellow cheese, some white, some use ketchup others more of a cream sauce. Also some use macaroni noodles and some elbow macaroni.. just depends..

theanswerbank.co.uk/Food_and_Drink/Question1… This is a basic recipe.

enjoy

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macaroni Pie

Macaroni Pie is a Barbadian delicacy. A true Bajan Macaroni Pie should be prepare similar to this.

Break macaroni into 3-4 pieces

Cook in boiling water with salt and oil

Grate cheese

Chop onions and sweet peppers

The key to an excellent pie is the sauce.

Use milk as a base, add a mire-pois which is basically margarine and flour melted and mixed. Then add ketchup, a little mustard, white pepper and a little salt. Finally, add lots of grate cheese. Then put the cooked macaroni in the sauce and put it into a pirate’s dish or tinning sheet, springle grated cheese on top and put into the oven. It’s quite yummy. Two places with excellent pie are the Golden Apple Restaurant at Hotel Pommarine and Brown Sugar Restaurant,

Hope this helps

Javon

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macaroni Pie

Not mushy like N American macaroni cheese it is baked in the oven as stated above, usually cut up in squares with a knife. It is served as a side dish with bajan meals just like veggies. Never attended a party or dance where food is served without it even in Canada. I love it personally I add pepper sauce to mine.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macaroni Pie

Not mushy like N American macaroni cheese it is baked in the oven as stated above, usually cut up in squares with a knife. It is served as a side dish with bajan meals just like veggies. Never attended a party or dance where food is served without it even in Canada. I love it personally I add pepper sauce to mine.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Macaroni Pie

My mother in Wales used to make macaroni pudding when we were children. Just like rice pudding, cooked in milk with a little sugar, butter and some nutmeg sprinkled on the top. Delicious.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
997 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Macaroni Pie

Sounds YUMMY! Can't wait to try it in January. Hot n' spicy mac pie for this guy!

Thanks everyone.

Dan

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macaroni Pie

I have never liked macaroni until we tried it on the Silver Moon catamaran this year. The macaroni pie was delicious. Will definitely eat it again.

10. Re: Macaroni Pie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 18:16