We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Subway's

NYC
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Subway's

What's the latest on Subway's being granted franchises in Barbados? Is it a go?

New Britain...
Level Contributor
892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Subway's

Why would you travel all the way from NYC to Barbados and go to Subways to eat? You can do that at home!! Try something different for once in your life. You might like it.

NYC
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Subway's

Here's an idea: why not have an idea of what you're talking about and who you're talking to before answering my post?

My mother is Bajan. I lived there for a year in '61, and have been back and forth ever since, last visitng for my wedding in 2002. I've have plenty of relatives throughout the island. I'm pretty well-versed in Bajan culture and food, etc.

So if you don't have any answers, stay out of the thread!

Now, does someone who actually knows something please answer me? Thanks in advance!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Subway's

A whirlwind of controversy still surrounds, however, no definitive decision has been made. Additionally, if Geddes Grant isn't granted the license, they can go to the World Trade Organisation to hear their case and will most likely be sucessful.

It's still dominance by Cafe Blue for now.

Javon

NYC
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Subway's

Thanks so much, Javon! You may rememebr me mentioning that we would be taking some folks to The Cliff. That's now been upped to 2 dinners at The Cliff, which should cause my credit cards to melt.

I'm always on the lookout for cheap lunch options, since taking groups out to dinner on the West Coast is so expensive.

Again, thanks for the quick reply!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Subway's

HI Boodikka,

In my dreams we get a Subway.. It is one of those places that when I go back to the US on holiday, I put that on my list of places to eat.

I'm afraid, however, that even if the company who is wanting to bring it here is given the opportunity, like many other things, it will not be a "cheap" option for lunch.

I was in NC this summer and have a double meat subway club (which has been my favorite since I started eating Subway many many years ago). I think I paid maybe 6.00usd for it.. 12.00bbd.. which means, in Barbados it would likely be about 24.00bbd once it gets to me. That, to me, is not a cheap lunch (although considering my husband went to Carib Beach Bar one day for lunch a few weeks back and spend close to 60.00bbd on himself, without really trying, I guess it would be a cheap lunch.).. oh and that 24.00bbd would be before the drink.. which is likely to be at least 2.50BBD.

I'm just guessing of course, but when I can't get out of KFC for less than 20.00 for a small portion of food, I can't imagine that Subway will be much cheaper.. and I'm sure the portions will be smaller than those served in the US as well.

But again.. one can only dream...

and in answer to your question.. I'm sure we as the general public will never now the outcome anytime soon.

NYC
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Subway's

Thanks, Sunnie!

I didn't take into account the list prices being bumped up that high...we'd probably be better off going to lunch at the Gap everyday.

In my area (NYC metro), Subway's is being aggressively attacked in a competitive ad campaign by a rival firm (Quizno's), and they seem to be feeling the heat a bit.

I'd still like to seem them in Barbados, eventually...there's no such thing as too many food choices. Thanks again for the info!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Subway's

I usually say that you have to times most if not all US good prices by 4 to get the eventual Barbados price (shipping/levi/duties etc.all add up.)

and as someone who loves a good deli sub type sandwich.. tain't nobody in Barbados at the moment who can make one... Not Cafe Blue or Cafe 66 or any of the other wanna be's... (ok.. I can make them at home.. but..it's not the same)

Again.. my dreams would be answered if they came.. but I'm not holding my breath (heading back to NC for Christmas so I'll get my taste satisfied then).

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Subway's

I'd say the idea might go over well with some tourists or snowbirds but I doubt I'd be eating there. There's a Subway, 3 brand name pizza places, 4 fast food restaurants and at least 2 brand name family style restaurant pubs within a few minutes drive from my house. I have some local favorite places to eat in Barbados that are different from here. Not everyone is into eating an entire footlong piece of bread anyways.

However you want to get the attention of Canadians install about 30 or 40 Tim Horton's.

Cheers

NYC
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Subway's

Tim Horton's would definitely work for me.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Subway's

It's either Tim's or Mr. Submarine for us Canucks.