We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Barbados

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Food in Barbados

I am going to be in Barbados from the 13th of January to the 27th and we are renting a condo with a kitchen, we have family there and they have insisted that we go to the restaurant and eat and to go to the house to eat with them when they are home, but there are times we are going to want to eat at the condo on the patio.

Our question is what kind of food can we bring from Canada?

We have read crackers, jams and hot/cold cereal..any advise as to the prices in Barbados and any tips on what to bring with us.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Barbados

Hi Rita, we stayed twice at coral mist and have bought some food with us, first time we bought sugar free squash, cereal, some tinned food, packet pasta, tea, coffee etc in and it was fine, I did it because I heard stories of food being really expensive, however second trip I hardly took anything, food in the supermarket was slightly more expensive than uk but not radically so, seem to remember coffee was expensive though and we also found eating out costs to be pretty similar to uk so were pleasantly surprised. Think you would struggle with meat, dairy, plants etc. but dried, tinned , bottled goods should be fine, would imagine canada will be the same as the uk, we packed it in our suitacase and you would definately have to now with luggage restrictions, have a great trip, I am jealous, hoping to be back in barbados in may!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Barbados

Unless you have a particular food that you can't do without ,& is only available at home, DON'T BOTHER you can get virtually anything in BDS.Where are you staying? good supermarket in Holetown.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Barbados

We used to bring food also but Super Centre stores now have Presidents Choice products just like home, no difference. The price is slightly more but when you do the converstion to Canadian funds you'll not notice too much of a difference. Actually you would think you were in Loblaws, almost.

If you bring anything think of weight because if you're over the baggage limit the price is quite high and anything you think you've saved is lost. If you bring anything maybe some cereal or something really speacial.that you like. Crackers and jams are really inexpensive so bringing them isn't worth it.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Barbados

You can see grocery prices of our main supermarket here:

http://www.supercentre.com/shop.html You'll be pleased to see the familiar Presidents Choice brand all over the place too.

However, we are really quite modern here and there really is no need to bring crackers, jam and cereal etc. as we have them in abundance here. It really seems an awful waste of time to start filling suitcases with what we readily have on sale here. Also, as you are going abroad, why not experience the more local or unusual items we may have on offer, as to travel with the contents of your home larder seems to defeat the purpose of going away.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Barbados

Does anyone know Big B grocery store carries the PC brands? If nor can someone tell me how far the SuperCentre is from the Coral Mist ?

Thanks,

Dan

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Barbados

-"Does anyone know Big B grocery store carries the PC brands? If nor can someone tell me how far the SuperCentre is from the Coral Mist ?"

Big B is actually a SuperCentre store (it is now officially "Big B SuperCentre"), so it has all the PC stuff.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Barbados

Great thanks!

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in Barbados

Rita I wouldn't bother packing any food unless you have some specific dietary restrictions. The prices in the supermarket are good many of the same brands that I use here in the states although they were more expensive so I opted for regional brands and had no complaints. I was able to find sugar free and low fat/low cal products as well. The local yogurt and cheese was very good. The supermarkets are essentially the same as what I frequent here in the states including the deli section that has hot food to go.The only thing I brought with me was a certain cereal that I have a hard time finding here and some specific tea that I enjoy. Save that extra time and weight in your suitcase for something you might really need.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food in Barbados

InBarbados,

Big B has PC products. When I used Super Centre I also meant Big B. They're one and the same just different names.

10. Re: Food in Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 18:19