We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island advice

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Island advice

We are looking for a new xmas resort for next year. We are a multi generational family from 15-80.

We enjoy nice rooms, a good beach for walking and lounging, beautiful sea easy to swim in, snorkeling and some (not too much!) nightlife.

We've enjoyed St. John in the past (caneel bay) but got bitten alive there last time. We've also enjoyed Peter Island, but it's a bit claustrophobic with only 1 restaurant, so we're looking for advice.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,928 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island advice

do you want all inclusive? how many stars? 4*?

Javon

lu
Barbados
Level Contributor
351 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Island advice

Your past holiday experiences have been quite upmarket so I would say investigate whether the Hilton will meet your accommodation expectations. They have several restaurants, and many more are available with short taxi rides away. The beach there is lovely and the sea is good for swimming and snorkelling. The Hilton is located on the south coast, couple minutes drive from Bridgetown.

Royal Pavillion, on the west coast may possibly be another good option for you.

If you want All-Inclusive - consider Almond Beach Village.

You should easily find descriptions for these hotels from this same site.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,235 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island advice

You don't say how many people but as a family we've always stayed on the south coast. It's everything you're looking for. Rockley beach, Worthing beach great for walking, easy swimming. For the younger ones, at one end of Rockley Beach more waves for boogie boarding. We've always stayed at Rockley Golf & Country Club (for the golfers in the family), not a noisy place, good pools. A short walk to the beach. It's about a 20 min. walk to St. Lawrence Gap where there loads of restaurants, some with nightlife. Need more info just ask.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island advice

.............................I would just add to the previous post.

I stayed at Club Rockley Golf Resort a number of years ago - okay rooms and golf course, if you like that. However, food was horrible with a very poor choice. The upside was when we stayed the West Indies Cricket team stayed at the same time!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island advice

I thought Rockley Beach Club had closed??Was it temporary or did I do a Javon & imagine it!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island advice

Yes the hotel closed a few years ago now so you didn't imagine it. There are still privately owned houses and apartments that you can rent - they are in little villages called "clusters" and all have a central pool area - it's all very well kept and managed.

Sarah

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,235 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island advice

Rockley also known as Club Rockley or Rockley Country Club has been always privately owned. The hotel that was there just rented the units (rooms) from the owners.

You can rent a house, two bedroom, one bedroom and studio condos from the owners directly. I have suggested www.barbadosrockleyvacations.com as a site that has quite a bit of information about Barbados but particularly Rockley. It is quite charming and yes well maintained. It's set up on 70 acres with 10 clusters of condominums, each with a pool, parking, and integrated with the golf course that winds its way around everything. This is really a great place to stay as it is a residential community with all the amenities of home but a vacation spot. Though it's not on a beach it's just a short walk to the Rockley or Worthing Beaches and close to shopping and St.Lawrence Gap.

southampton england
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island advice

WELL what more is there to say about the good old rockley golf course /ex rockley resort . i must admit that i never stayed at the resort , because i never knew about it , in the early days we stayed at the shanglri-la which was down the road from sea breeze ,now i am talking 24 years ago , after that and many more hotels we ended staying at sea breezes for a few years ,then 3 years ago we got married ,thats after 24 years together , we got hitched at orchid world , what a lovelly place , that is when i found out about rockley golf /country club .I adore golf. we were so luckly to find one of the studio flats for sale . So we got wed in the morning and signed up for the studio in the afternoon .had some champers then off to the cliff for a fab meal in the evening. we have not looked back . rockley is such a lovelly place ,so peacefull ,each cluster has its own pool, and to be honest , apart from some other owners ,that come down for sundowners at about 1600 hrs ,the pool is yours , we find it is like having your own private villa.as you know the sun comes up at about 0530 am , as we are on the fith fairway,about 0600 we often hear the click of golf club on ball ,as we sit on our balcony we tried to trace the flight of the ball /. if any any of you are thinking of a golf holiday /combined with beach this place is IT rockley is about a 10 minuite walk to supermarkets [which have a free shuttle bus] banks and post office , then of course the beach. st lawarence gap ,.is a further 10 minuites walk . which is a nice stroll early evening ,have your meal etc then get a cab back. rockley is just inland from the sandy bay hotel, and crystal waters /carib bar if you know it .WE LOVE THE PLACE AND GO BACK TIME AFTER TIME happy holidays

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island advice

Steve :what a lovely story ,you are an old romantic!

new york
Level Contributor
306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Island advice

john the dog- be careful what you say about javon on this webside. you said he imagined something. ithat is a criticism and on this webside putting someone down is verbotin and could be deleted if someone ask for it. thats what i was told anyway. you are a man after my own heart. i can just tell. now thats a positive comment.! a belated happy new year to you.