We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate dress at restaurants

Oklahoma City...
13 posts
Save Topic
Appropriate dress at restaurants

I have read that shorts and jeans are not appropriate in restaurants on Barbados. Is this the case in all restaurants or just the upscale?

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
840 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

Not the case at all, shorts are acceptable in most restaurants. As an example,this is the dress code for 'The Cliff' which is one of the most upscale restaurants in Barbados - "Elegantly casual. Jacket and tie are not required and knee length dress shorts are acceptable for gentlemen– quite smart is what we’re looking for. Dress hats are permitted. No armhole shirts for men, or slippers (flip flops). Trainers or beachwear are not acceptable."

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

Some Restaurants ( and Hotels ) do have a "long trouser " and "no jeans and beach sandals " policy and it IS upheld, so if you want to have complete freedom of choice where to eat, bring a pair of cotton / linen lightweight long trousers and some lightweight shoes. They stop the mozzies biting your legs at night so are not a bad thing at all.

You will find jeans far too hot !

Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

What are mozzies

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

mosquitoes

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,567 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

I don't think you would want to wear jeans, they would be too hot. You can normally get away with dress shorts, but it depends on where you want to eat. Although the Cliff allows men to wear shorts my OH always takes a pair of long cotton trousers to wear there as we like to dress up a bit.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

I think he was joking. I HOPE he was joking!!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

Most 'good' restaurants have a dress policy of 'Elegantly Casual'.

This generally means NO jeans (why would you want to take denim to a hot country anyway and they NEVER EVER look smart - even new ones. Best kept to the building site!!); NO t-shirts; NO untailored shorts; NO trainers; NO flipflops.

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

Barbadosbelle1- jeans belong on a building site???? When in dining out in England i find that my Hugo Boss jeans and Loake brogues are smart enough thankyou.

GEM
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

Jeans look just as good as some kaki pants. As long as they aren’t all ripped up which seems to be the new style. As for the heat, most jeans are made with thinner material then the old denim. Do you not think locals wear jeans? Long pants are long pants and some nights I was glad to have my jeans as it was cool.

There are nice jeans and building site jeans.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,022 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate dress at restaurants

I would say just the upscale restaurants. You can wear jeans in all the other ones and in bars. Locals wear them all the time. You may be a bit hot but I wear mine. It’s cooler during the evening in Dec, Jan & Feb anyway.

Reply to: Appropriate dress at restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bridgetown
Recent Conversations