We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you use american money in Barbados?

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
winnipeg
Level Contributor
255 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Can you use american money in Barbados?

Can you use US dollars in Barbados -- especially for the buses? Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

Most businesses will accept US$ but you will receive your change in BDS$. Buses require exact change so you would be better off using local currency really.

There are loads of threads on this topic so might be worth you doing a search.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

Yes ...for just about anything

...but unless the fares go up ( presently BDS$ 1.50 ) you will have to give 1 US$ as they don't take US$ change

If you pay in US$ you will get change in BDS$

There are 100s of threads on Currency and the use of Buses ...s well as the Insider Pages ...do a search

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

with the exchange being what it is now, the easiest thing to do is withdraw from the ATM in barbados and you will receive BDS currency. there are royal and scotia banks there and the withdrawal fee for me is $5.00 CDN. once you've paid the fee to exchange CDN to USD then hand it over again to receive BDS change, i find it much easier to just withdraw cash locally which will be converted at the current daily exchange rate.

cheers, rootsie!

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

We had no problem with US$ this past November. However, as others may have told you, you may not always get the best exchange rate when you are given change.

It is best to get some local $.

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

so would you say just take a little money with you and get the rest when your there?

regards

jackie

xx

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

Cuddlessurrey...

My method is as follows:

Unless I have a few BDS$ or US$ left over from previous trips .....

I don't bother taking any local with me...I carry my usual amount of £GB with me and I use my Nationwide Flex Account Debit card at an ATM in the airport or on the way to the villa

If the ATM happens to be not in use then I can convert some of the £GB into BDS$ at the bureaux de change ... you usually get a good rate on £GP>BDS$

I have even heard that some taxi drivers will accept £GB ....they or friends use it when visiting the UK

I hire a car on my CC so don't really need any cash on the first day.

It all depends on how comfortable you are without cash ans/or how much you will need at the airport

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

The taxi to your hotel is a fixed fee. We were told by the Hotel how much, both US$ & local. I ysually take a couple hundred in US$ with us, so were were covered for the initial expenses. Some small bills are good for tips too!

You are going to at leasst have some US$ to get started, or immediately get to a bank machine at the airport.

Florida
Level Contributor
47 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

We just returned from Barbados and everything was paid for in USD. We then used the change we received in Barbados Dollars for the next item. The taxi cab fares are fixed so don't worry about that but you can bargain with them just not at the airport very easily.

A previous post on this forum said the exchange was 1.5 Barbados to 1 USD but we found the going rate to be 2 to 1 USD and this is what the official currency converters on the internet said.

Have a great trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

cubagirlwpg,

Just to clarify, the bus fare is $1.50 BBDS$. The unofficial exchange rate (for cash transactions on the street) is 2 US$ to 1 BBDS$. In stores the exchange is $1.98 to $1. Please remember that costs are quoted in BBDS$ (except for hotel-room costs and a few duty-free items which you'd most-likely purchase on a card anyway).

10. Re: Can you use american money in Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 05:28