We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

children out after 9pm in barbados ????

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
children out after 9pm in barbados ????

hi,

After the events a la maddie mccann, i am travelling to barbados with my 6 year old. and don't want to really book a babysitter as obviously my son wouldn't be comfortable staying with someone he does know.i am also going with my partner and i dont want to be in bed by 8pm though !!! obviously we wont be going to harbour lights but want to know if there would be a problem being in a bar with a child after 9pm ??

we have got a villa with pool etc so we plan to spend a lot of time in the garden with a nice glass of rum but what is the general feeling ??

Thanx

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

I know, used to, some bars were fairly ok with you bringing children in, depending on the lateness of the hour. Mojo's on the south coast would be ok, cause they have a bar area but also picnick tables set up outside.

having said that, I think it really depends on where you plan to go.. obviously Harbour Lights would be the best place to take him, and also some bars may not even allow it.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

I don't know which coast you are staying on, or what time of year, but I'm afraid that many of the well known restaurants have a policy of no children at all or dinner at 6 pm with children under a certain age. Places like Zaccios and Surfside that are on the beach, do however allow children to dine in the evening.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

If I were you I'd stay away from the busier areas such as St. Lawrence Gap after about 9.30 with your 6 year old as it can get a bit rowdy. It's not really the norm here like it is in Spain to have the kids out late with you (I loved doing that in Spain, I'd be asking the kids if it was time to go home , not the other way around!). Having said that, most hotels are quite sedate, so an idea might be to find a hotel close to where your villa is that has a nice bar/ restaurant and hang out there until late.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

You will be fine going to Oistins at weekends with your son you will see lots of local families and visitors with their children out. He's obviously too old for a buggy and I'm sure by 9-10pm he will be shattered with the sea air but you could stay later at Oistins.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

Carib Beach Bar is good. You can sit at the edge of the restaurant by the beach, so you're not near the bar. There are some picnic tables on the beach in that section. You can have dinner and then stay on and have some drinks while your child plays in the sand. Some nights there may be music or a live band (not sure what the entertainment is like there these days).

London, United...
Level Contributor
467 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

hi,

Thanks for all your responses, we are staying in lower carlton (hole town) in an rented apartment.

I don't intend to be out half the night, harbour lights would be a no no just don't fancy being stuck in from 7pm lol. just didnt know if there was any rules etc , fully understand re the cliff lol...

Thanx

SEA
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

Harbour lights has a beach thing Monday's and Wednesdays. All ages allowed unti 10:30pm

Heck I have seen young kids at the Cliff. There is no kids menu though.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

It's no fine dining venue but the St Lawrence Grill in The Gap would be OK. Decent reasonably priced food and I have seen kids in there until about 10.30pm. You could have a meal and linger over a few drinks. Ditto with the Chinese above it. Bit of a trek from Holetown for you though.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

Actually there shouldn't be problem, it all depends on you. We were just there for a few months and had the grands down 2.5 and 5 and we went everywhere, dinner at Zaccios in Holwtown was great. The kids were served quickly and we had fun. So really it's up to you.

Go to my profile page and look for trip reports in March and April it will give you an idea of what we did as a extended family.

Enjoy.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: children out after 9pm in barbados ????

"It's no fine dining venue but the St Lawrence Grill in The Gap would be OK. Decent reasonably priced food and I have seen kids in there until about 10.30pm. You could have a meal and linger over a few drinks. Ditto with the Chinese above it. Bit of a trek from Holetown for you though. "

There is a Just Grillin in Holetown, which may be similar, but I've never been I'm afraid,