We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tiami sail turtles & beeach

florida
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tiami sail turtles & beeach

We are booked on this tour in Jan. and we have sent 2 messages to tiami tours and they just don't answer my question. We would like to know if they serve BEER on the 4 hour cruise , not the one with lunch. Myhusband can't drink hard liquor. Help

chorley
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

They didn't answer my e-mails either so I booked with Calabaza and had a wonderful time!

Altoona...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

Gina from Calabaza will respond promptly and answer all of your questions.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
99 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

We had a fantastic time on Tiami last year and yes they serve beer. Banks i think

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

W esialed with Tiami about a month ago. I would not recommend them. The boat was WAY overcrowded, and they do not give you fins to snorkle. I understand why as far as the turtles are concerned, but it is really lame to "snorkel" without fins. I"d go with a smaller tour operator

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

we went with Tiami this year as part of a Virgin trip quite crowded - yes they do serve beer but we preferred Stilletto who we have gone with 4 times and Cool Runnings - both I seem to remember provide fins as well as beer!

Bonnyville, Canada
Level Contributor
644 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

just did the tiami cruise on monday, it was great!! They had beer, wine with lunch, rum punch, coconut rum, coffee, tea, and an amazing lunch. The turtles were huge, and we saw a little stingray swimming in the sand below them.

Very nice crew and music not crazy loud so you can enjoy and visit!!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
101 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

Hi, I've been living in Barbados since August, attached to UWI (The University of the West Indies), and I've been on Tiami, Calabaza, and HeatWave for the snorkeling turtle cruises. I think your choice depends on what ambiance you want.

I've been on Tiami twice and really like it as a party boat. Although they don't respond to email quickly--I had that problem my first time, February, when I was down for a quick business trip--they do take care of you well once you're here, and their crew members are professional and fun. Yes, their boats may be crowded sometimes, but other times they're not--yet that's what contributes to the party atmosphere besides the friendly banter of the crew and the music they play and the way they dance while preparing drinks for passengers, always with smiles and quips. And they have the largest boats, so if someone has any possibility of getting seasick, go for the largest boat (most stable). That's why I booked Tiami when a friend prone to motion sickness came to visit, and the crew really watched out for her well (thank you, Ryan, for your attentiveness). The beer, juice, sodas, and mixed drinks were plentiful and always prepared and handed to passengers with a smile (as were the coffee and tea at the beginning of the cruise). And they're terrific at watching out for passengers who need assistance, whether because they're not strong swimmers or they are young children or they have special needs--again, always with a smile and with patience (again, Ryan is great at watching for signs of anyone needing assistance such as one passenger with Down's whom he watched out for particularly, and he loves helping out children or anyone needing assistance, really, and is extremely patient, polite, and respectful). Tiami is super for people who travel on their own since there is always something or someone to watch on board; it's great for individuals or couples or groups who like to interact with new people.

Calabaza isn't so much a party boat as it is a small family affair. I enjoyed sailing with Gina and Danny with another visiting friend, one who isn't into a party atmosphere. The sea is the same, the sites the boats go to are often the same, but the ambiance on the boat itself varies. On the day I went, a couple my friend and I didn't know beforehand ended up chatting away happily when we noticed from each other's t-shirts that we were from similar geographic areas, and we even made plans for enjoying Thanksgiving dinner together later that week. I think of Calabaza as a boat to take if one prefers a quiet, chillin' sort of atmosphere in which one can just visit with the person they go with or interact with others only if they so please. Its smaller number of passengers is nice for greater intimacy and probably is the reason Gina can get back to people more quickly. Gina is fabulous and friendly and can surely cook some wonderful food, and her son Danny is a fun and funny captain, too. The crew, like the Tiami crew, can of course be attentive with the smaller number of passengers, so the Calabaza crew deserves accolades also.

Heat Wave is one I just was on this past Saturday. It's a medium-sized boat, and its crew was great fun and created a party atmosphere somewhat although the passengers for the most part on this particular day mainly just stuck to their own groups. Damien kept clowning around to encourage people to relax and have fun--both Charlie and Damien even were dancing around on deck as we sailed back to port. Both they and the other crew members were always attentive and smiling too, excellent at customer service. They also watched out for passengers who needed particular attention, one of the crew even taking care of solely one person in my group who is barely a swimmer at one of the snorkeling stops to make sure she was comfortable and safe in the water and saw the fish, the turtles, and the wreck that stronger swimmers were seeing as a group. Again, same spots for the dives--all three of these boats and more were at the precise same places this past Saturday. Again, a great crew. In this case a smaller party atmosphere for the ones who chose to interact with the crew and for those who chose to interact with only those they knew and came on board with.

So don't disregard Tiami just because it's slow in response or doesn't do a follow-up email after your cruise as does Gina for Calabaza. It's a terrific operation. Choose maybe on the basis of the ambiance you and/or your companion(s) want for your day. You can't go wrong with any of these three, I think -- you'll go wrong only if you choose not to do one of the catamaran cruises!

Mississauga
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

I was on the Cool Runnings catamaran in August and it was awesome. I would highly recommend them: http://www.coolrunningsbarbados.com/

It's an open bar with plenty of beer, liquor & rum punch, as are all the Bajans cats/boats. We did the lunch snorkel cruise which is the best IMO since it's the longest & includes 2 snorkel stops: Folkestone Marine Reserve and another bay where we swam with the wild turtles & stingrays. They have plenty of new snorkel gear: masks, fins & inflatable life vests. The food is excellent too.

I've been on several other Bajan cats over the years, including Spirit & Irish Mist. They're all very nice - you can't go wrong with any of them.

lowestoft
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

Hi We went on the Tiami tour on 20/12/09, it was fantastic..We were very lucky in that we only had 15 people on board. The crew were brilliant , entertaining and we were treated so well. The best outing we have had when visiting Barbados in fact, very relaxing, and the crew very helpful and supportive during the swim with the turtles. They do serve Banks and have a well stocked bar. Traditional food ... fantastic...

Stick with Tiami !!!!!

10. Re: tiami sail turtles & beeach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bridgetown
Recent Conversations