We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

bimjimmy
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

Web site:

http://www.waterfrontcafe.com.bb/

We arrived in Barbados on Wednesday and went to the Waterfront Cafe on Thursday night (22 Apr, 2010) with three friends at short notice, we met there at 7:00pm, and finally left between 10:30pm and 11:00pm.

Parking would be a problem on a busy night (we had a small Suzuki rental from Top Car). The location is right on the harbourfront on the south side of the bridge into town, so there are always commercial vehicles, taxis and other cars/SUVs parked every which way wherever they can find a spot, as well as empty hucksters stands and frameworks you have to move around whether walking or driving. The "off-night" that we were there we got in about 15 minutes before our meeting time and scored a parking spot against the sidewalk very close to the restaurant.

To get to the bottom line first, the total bill - with all appetisers, meals, drinks and two desserts - for five adults was a shade over BDS$500 (= CAD/US$250), or CAD/US$50 each..

Please note that we are not big spenders, nor do we have a big budget (I had invited the others and paid the entire bill), but it was by far well worth every penny, and I would go there again in a heartbeat.

The range of food available was quite good, what was ordered was what actually came to the table (unlike other places we have been to or stayed at), the portions were more than adequate (but not supersized), and the quality of the food was very high. We all left full, but not uncomfortable.

Also bear in mind that most of us are locals, living there or abroad, so these are very "educated" opinions!!

In the appetiser section, we all shared...

Bajan Fish Cakes - light and airy, not heavy like elsewhere

Bul Jol (an acquired taste - not for the faint of heart or nose!!)

Melts of the Flying Fish

On the Main course menu we had...

Flying Fish & Cou-Cou

Calypso Seafood

Seafood St. Jacques

Pepperpot

"Jerked" Pork Loin

Dessert (there were 2 abstentions) followed with...

Carrot Cake

Chocolate Cake

Stewed Guava á la Mode

None of us could find fault with anything, except the service was possibly a bit slow - but it was much faster than at the hotel where we stayed and you ARE in the laid-back Caribbean!! Flavours and textures were right where they were supposed to be, and what was supposed to be fresh was definitely that.

About a hour after we arrived, three or four local guys arrived to provide first class jazz entertainment. It was an "off" night, so the most customers at any one time probably did not exceed a dozen, and we enjoyed the very un-frenzied pace.

We gave it 5 stars all around... we did not go there on the busy nights, but I would assume they have extra wait staff to cover the loads.

One suggestion... one of our guests (a local) ordered vodka with tamarind juice... my wife tried it and then had one herself. So you might to want to order one too - as a novelty - and see what it is like!!

This is one very good place to enjoy Barbados...

Jim Lynch

(bimjimmy)

Edited: 29 April 2010, 19:48
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

There is parking if you continue straight past Dacosta Manning and turn right so you are above the Waterfront Cafe parking at the side of the Careenage - visitors wouldn't know there's parking here so there's usually space.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

Bul Jol (an acquired taste - not for the faint of heart or nose!!)

What is this when I have had this it was my understanding it was salt fish tomatoes onion garlic peppers all mixed up so why "for the faint of heart " is this something else entirely different? Need to get it straight would hate to get something I was not expecting!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

some places add more hot pepper (not sauce, but the pepper) into Bul Jol at can be hotter than it really should. but I would like to know if they do anything different.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

BGIlover, that's exactly what it is. I've had it at the Waterfront Cafe it's delicious. When I had it they hadn't added any tomatoes.

5. Re: Went Thursday night (22 Apr '10)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:19