We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

My family is visiting barbados in march. My wife is a midwife and is interested in visiting the birthing centre. It seems that the website is no longer up and running and she can not find if they are still active.

Does any locals have information on this?

Toronto, Ontario...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

Did you find out what happened to the Birth Centre?

Barbados
Level Contributor
309 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

Hi doctorwho2005,

I made a call to the Birthing Centre and that number is no longer in service. Maybe you can try the Barbados Fertility Centre. They can be contacted at 435-7467 or http://www.barbadosivf.com/

Edited: 11 July 2013, 15:10
Barbados
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

I don't think they operate any longer. From what I heard (don't take this as gospel) they had a birth that went very wrong. I don't know if they were shut down by officials or if there were cost/liability issues, or if that was just one incident that led to them deciding there was too much risk or cost involved in continuing to operate. I don't know the details of the incident and don't want to speculate. I also don't want to paint them in an unfairly bad light - I had 2 babies there and I know how much of a partnership the births are between mother and midwife/doula. They always tried to screen potential clients well because they depended on the moms to communicate what was going on with their bodies and help make the right decisions for themselves. I can see how things could go wrong if either the midwives weren't listening well or the mom wasn't communicating well (resulting in not seeking medical assistance soon enough), and I don't know which it was in this particular case. Could be a bad combination of both.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 14:04
Kingstown, St...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

My son was born at the family birthing center in 2009 We move to another country but I have a friend living there .she has her daughter a year ago at the family birthing center the are still in operation but they change there location the numbers change I'm here trying to find them so I can send up dates photos of my son they are Loving family I got the best treatment there was I was in labour for 19 hours and I had a natural birth my son was born healthy He is now four years old can any one link me with a number thank you

Edited: 30 July 2013, 12:54
Barbados
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

They are no longer listed in the telephone directory. The midwife there, Kathy Neblett, may well be practising elsewhere, but maybe under a different clinic name or maybe just personally. I haven't heard anything at all about them for a while.

6. Re: What happened to the birthing centre in Barbados?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 05:19