We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Which Bridgetown hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Holland, New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Well, the airfare has been bought and the villa is being booked as we speak, or as I write. Now all we have to do is schedule our catamaran for a day, find out about the rum shop tours and anything else that might come our way. Really excited about planning trips, no matter where we go, but this trip to Barbados is a place we have been wanting to visit. So this May is the time we will find out. Continue to throw any additional suggestions at me, if you haven't already. And I am sure I will continue to ask questions as I think of them. Thanks to all.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Do you like fishing? Fishing in Barbados is excellent and a blast, if you like fishing and can afford a charter, do it you won't regret it.

Most highly recommended cats I've seen on here: Calabaza, Cool Runnings, Jammin'

For rum shop tours I believe it may have been already mentioned in another thread that Pablo Donte's does a party bus type tour to a couple different rum shops, and it seems like great value.

Since you're interested in liquor, don't forget to buy it at the departure hall when you're leaving. Excellent prices.

I'm not sure if fine dining is your thing, or if you're more into street food vendors and that type of stuff, but some things I've done or heard recommended several times as cheap eats and quality food:

Just Grillin' - You have to go at least once on your trip, the value is excellent and the food great.

Oistins Fish Fry - Kind of like Just Grillin' but with a big party on Friday night, and excellent food.

Chefette - If you're into fast food, it isn't the cheapest eat but I love me some Chefette's!

Tiki Bar @ Rockley - Great laid back bar to watch the sunset, listen to some live music on Fri/Sat nights, get good cheap drinks, etc.

Miss P's @ Rockley Beach - Great place to grab a quick bite.

Chicken George @ Rockley Beach - Right next door, if you want to get hammered they offer strong drinks at a good price.

Mr Delicious @ Miami Beach

Leeroy's van @ Outside of Bougainvillea and around island

Cuz's Fish Shack @ Needham's Point

Shakers - Near Accra

All of this stuff is on the south coast, if you're on the west coast there's a ton of more upscale restaurants to choose from, but Champers on the south coast is known to attract some west coast diehards.

The usual well known places like The Tides, The Cliff, Naru, Nishi, etc are all pretty well regarded as well.

Also if you like to party, Priva on the west coast is where it's at. You also have a ton of restaurants and bars in the gap and all along the coast line from the west to the south coast. In other words being near to a bus stop, taxi stand, or renting a car is quite convenient if you're on either coast. Always ask for the price prior to getting into the cab, but to be honest I've forgotten a few times in my drunken haze and was always charge the right amount anyways. It's just always good to know beforehand.

I'll try to think of anything else I can and post it here. Post questions :) It's hard to think about stuff without any direction, let us know what types of things you enjoy doing, if you're a big drinker, party animal, if you're more of the relaxed type, if you like cultural stuff, natural beauty etc. The good news is, Barbados has it all.

Also, do a tour of the island. If you choose to do nothing else on your list an island tour is a must. I only did my first tour the forth time I came, and I must say it was long overdue. Try and get a private tour, they're the best because they'll take you on your own and do what you want to do. I do know a guy who is excellent if interested.

Holland, New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Hey Steve P thanks for all the information, Definitley the catamaran and rum shop tours. We are really not too much into fishing. We will probably check a bag just so we can bring back some rum with us. Not sure how much is allowed but we will find out. Also read that there is a duty free at the airport that rum could be bought from before we go to our villa. Is this true?

I spent the weekend looking at the different restaurants and we are are all about saving and eating and drinking cheap, if possible. I think that Just Grillin is within walking distance to the villa we are staying in. That would be Villas on the Beach. Although, where we booked from we are allowed a complimentary car and vouchers (kind of like free spending money) Not sure what that is all about. I think it is something that the toursim association is providing. Why not.

As for what we enjoy, we are not party animals, but do like to hang out and meet the locals and just have fun. Also want to relax, something we don't do at home very much. Love to walk the beach with our drinks and stumble upon places. So much to look forward to. I am sure I will be posting again.

Thanks for the help.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Steve, please can you give me details of your land tour. We have been recommended Ted's tours but we cannot get in touch with him.

many thanks

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

There is an "in bound duty free" at the airport on arrival - but rum is local so can be bought at supermarket right across the road!

Just Grillin is easy walking distance about 5 minutes - maybe 7 mins?

The restaurant right beside Villas on the Beach is Zaccios - family style restaurant -

a few yards down the beach is Surfside Beach Bar -food not expensive - has happy hour drinks 2 for 1 etc. and is a great place to meet locals - so of course is TML One Love Bar on 1st street (rum shop) - always locals sitting around gossiping - and every Sunday night is karaoke and a street party!! (free)

Supermarket has BBQ chickens - and a deli section

Have fun - enjoy - you will find lots of places to visit -drink - eat- chat - chill out! -

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,778 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Sporty87

For the catamaran I would suggest Silver Moon or Cool Runnings.

Regards

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

Sporty, yes there is duty free in the baggage area at Barbados airport. If you like vodka, scotch etc I would buy it there, very good prices (1 litre Grey Goose about $27.00US). You are allowed 1 litre each but I have been told (by the store staff) that lots of people buy more and customs doesn't bother them. They didn't ask us anything when we went through. Who knows you could take a chance. Liquor other than rum is expensive in the grocery store as is wine but rum is cheap and Mount Gay Eclipse is VERY good! Banks (the local beer) is cheap in the grocery stores.

Have fun, you'll love Barbados.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

I've also heard excellent things from locals and tourists about surfside.

I've sent a PM to you angela

8. Re: Our first trip is almost all planned. YEAH!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:27