We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

We are travelling to Barbados on 23 July and have looked at the weather forecast showing that there are thunderstorms predicted over the next week. Stupid as it may sound - what does that really mean -ie do they last all day or are they short and sharp?! Two weeks of thunderstorms sound quite depressing so I am hoping they are intermitent. Forever hopeful!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Ok the weather forecast is pretty much the same for everyday unless there is a weather system in the area. Currently the sun is shining and it is very hot - we did have some rain yesterday in Christ Church - that doesn't mean it's all over the island though.

The normal forecast is

"fair to partly cloudy with the chance of scattered showers/thunder storms" normally unless there is a storm in the area this means short sharp sudden downpours and within 10 - 15 mins things are hot and sunny again - oh wow just having a quick downpour as I type and it looks like it might last 1 minute - maybe 2!!!

Sarah

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Thanks Sarah - you have put my mind at rest - we have been to Barbados quite a few times but in December and even then the wether has been a bit weird - rain everyday, all day one week!! However, when I saw the forcast for July I thought I would have to bring my wellies!! We don't mind rain as long as it has sunny spells inbetween! Son and friend also doing Sports Camp in August so was worried that may be rained off! Thanks again

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Hi Bertie - I find the best weather forecasting to look at is AccuWeather.com . They seem to be more accurate - and having looked at it today as I am going this coming week, I feel pretty happy! I must also say that I have been going in July for around 10 years and have always found it to be probably the best time of year to go (I generally go out Christmas, Easter, Summer & October!). Last year we had 3 practically clear weeks of sunshine - and generally the sea on the west coast is fantastically calm. - Have a great time - we'll be there too!

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Thanks Sunshinegirl - I will use the weather website you recommended. Glad to hear you think July is great time to go - I can't wait!! Have a great time -

ENGLAND
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

We have been in Paynes Bay, St James since 12th July. The weather has been hit and miss most of the time,there has been lots of sunshine, very hot and humid but also lots of grey cloud and a lot of rain at night. Today we have stayed indoors as it rained very heavily from 9am until 6pm. We are told that there was a lot of rain the week before we arrived. Wwe have also been looking at Accu weather amongst other weather sites and Accu weather has not been particularly accurate!! We also ask the locals but all they say is you can't predict the weather!Sorry to be a pessimist, just wanted you to have a more realistic opinion. Hope this helps.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Yes today has been a total washout for most of the island...there is a weather system in the area...these can spring up very quickly and really cannot be predicted even by the weathermen!!!

Sarah

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

total and complete washout today, but it helped cool off the temperatures. Makes for a lovely lazy inside day.

Sunshine, I'm guessing you felt that all the days on your holiday should be bright and sunny but for those of us that live here, we seriously need this rain. Plants have to grow and our water supply needs to be replenished..

I'm hoping you have a great rest of your holiday, come rain or come shine..

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Blimey - I am definitely taking my wellies!! Hopefully things will pick up but we knew it was a bit of a gamble when we booked! At least it is warm rain and I'm not at work!!

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Hi Bertie - Don't worry too much! I too have been in Paynes Bay since 12th July and have a different view on it to SUNSHINE. There has been plenty of sunshine and even though there has been one grey day and one 'washout' day, the weather on the whole has been fine and I now have quite a tan! I guess it just depends what you are used to - if you are expecting wall to wall sun SUNSHINE, then the Caribbean is not for you - As Sunnie has said, we need rain here to keep the island looking as lush as it does. If I wanted dry arid conditions then I would go to somewhere like Greece or Spain. This morning there was a shower early but now it is lovely, so I'm getting to the beach in a minute! Seems there could be rain tomorrow though, so could be a shopping day in Bridgetown - have to have some rain to get me off the beach sometimes! By the way, it is extremely warm!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boring I know - but what's the weather really like!!?

Glad you're having a nice time sunshinegirl024! Not jealous at all you being on Paynes Bay!