We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

discovery bay, sewage?

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
discovery bay, sewage?

I have read that at Colony and Mango there is a smell of sewage and occasionnally it goes into the sea, and it seems it is the same situation with Discovery Bay. Is this correct?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

It certainly is not sewage...there is a swampy area there that does soemtimes smell - it's at the back of Mango Bay but work has been done there recently so hopefully this will have been sorted out somewhat - but def not sewage!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
280 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

Sometimes it is sewage that escapes from the septic tanks of the restaurants in Holetown mixed in with the stale swamp water. The West Coast does not have a sewage treatment plant nor does it have sewer pipes to take the raw waste to the Bridgetown facility. Many of the old homes (my next door neighbour) have a run off pipe that dumps the sewage over flow directly into the sea until a septic tanker can arrive to pump out the waste. In most cases the old properties in Barbados do not have an actual septic tank but a well which is an open hole into the lime stone (coral rock)and the waste just leaks into ground over time. Hopefully the planned West Coast sewage project will start in the near future, it will be a pain to get around but the environment will be better protected.

It's one of the main reasons that the reefs are dying offshore. In the case of Holetown "Elbow Room" patrons often smell the leaks from the Indian Restaurant next door.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

Well I am quite shocked at this and have never heard of this before despite I have been here for 22 years and lived and worked for a time on the West Coast, infact at Holetown. I hope this does not put too many people off going to stay in that area if this is an ongoing problem - I for one would not want to.

One of the main problems for the reefs is the run off from the land when there are very heavy rains (like today) - these bring chemicals from the land such as insecticides etc. into the water and that kills the reef.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
280 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

Scary,

I was born in Barbados, my family has lived on the island for hundreds of years and I have had a beach front property for the last 20 years. It is common knowledge that almost all the old properties have septic wells and most properties in Barbados are old. Where do you think all the sewage on the West & North Coast goes too? The common practice is to bore a large hole maybe 2 feet by 2 feet into the rock and let the liquid part of the raw sewage seep into the land. It suppose to be covered with an air tight concrete top to prevent mosquitoes. When to much solid waste collects in the tanks then a specialize pump truck is called to suck up the semi-solid matter and is taken to the sewage plant just outside Bridgetown. The good news is that new developments are required by the health department to put in micro sewage plants on there properties I am pretty sure the new development Portico has one.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,823 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

Well I am sure you may well be correct...maybe here is not the right forum to be mentioning raw sewage in the sea off of the West Coast!!

south east
Level Contributor
919 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

I would also recommend anyone staying in that area to use something to dry sea water out of ears after swimming - I think it is called 'Dry Ear'. My son was forever getting ear infections and many others staying on that beach also seemed to. Interestingly enough, he hasn't had one since we started holidaying around the Paynes Bay area.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

Ewwwwww interesting story!

Mokonzi going back to Mango, we walked past it in May and it was the first time I had seen it from the beach side. The 'swamp' would of indeed put me off stopping there. It looked quite gross to me, of all the beaches in Barbados it certainly isn't the prettiest. The beach had been badly erroded too, not sure what the state of it is now but people were struggling to find room to sunbathe. A lady we spoke to on our catamaran trip who was stopping there said she was very disappointed by the beach. It does indeed flood in to the sea when there is heavy rain. I would not fancy swimming in it when that happens!

8. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:59
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

mokonzi

Here are two pics of the 'swamp' from TA reviews. One showing it flowing and one when it is just the stagnant pool. FYI I thought it did smell when we walked past. I am not saying it was sewage but whatever it was unpleasant.

Up to you to make up your own mind I guess.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147265-d150…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147265-d150…

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
280 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: discovery bay, sewage?

I agree with Sunshine Girl, the water in Paynes Bay and Prospect seem to be much cleaner, don't know why.

Rather than stay at Colony or Mango try Tamrind Cove or Treasure beach hotels.

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish