We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

We recently stayed at Sandy Bay House in Paynes Bay, St James, Barbados. Next door Chandos Villa is owned by the same owners. While the beach is beautiful, both these properties are somewhat deceiving from their website pics. Both properties are extremely run down to the point that you are nervous to touch things in case they fall apart. It is a shame as the location is perfect but the owners do not take care of the property at all. The beachfront is loaded with litter and on some days old beach furniture was thrown in the mangroves in front of the properties. Many days we were without hot water, we discovered cockroaches on our final days and throughout there is a steady supply of ants to keep you company. the phone rings all day as the owners check up on the maids constantly and all kitchenware is counted daily and reported back to the owners. Annoying as everything in the villa is old and dusty and if a glass was broken- big deal as I am sure it cost 50 cents. The towels were worn and holey as were the dishrags. Granted it is a beachhouse and you cannot expect pristine conditions but beware if you are expecting a clean rental as it was quite dirty everywhere we looked. The maids told us that the owners never get repeat clients.

Mentioned in this post
Paynes Bay
Paynes Bay
Barbados
south east
Level Contributor
960 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Your experience sounds awful! We once stayed at Newhaven Mansions near Gibbs beach. We started off in an apartment that was more like a dungeon - we were moved to another which was better but not great. We had been led to believe they were on the beach, but were in fact over the road. In those days the same owners owned the villas you talk about, and we were taken to see them - needless to say we didn't stay in them!! Is the owner still Dr. N?

I don't know how much you payed for your trip, but we stay in a fabulous apartment in the Coral Cove development on Paynes Bay beach - beautifully furnished and extremely well maintained - if you would like the details, I will send you the link.

Mentioned in this post
Gibbs Beach
Gibbs Beach
47 Reviews
Barbados
Paynes Bay Beach
Paynes Bay Beach
441 Reviews
Barbados
Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Same person! Please do send the link to Coral Cove- who knows we may venture back to barbados although I think another island may be in order. have you enjoyed any other villas on other islands?

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Thanks for the review ...from a real person who actually stayed there

Great shame as they have a prime location and are inexpensive

This is one of the most important aspects of TA

....I will take them off my list for 2011!!

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Please can you pass on the link for Coral Cove as we will be holidaying in January 2011, we had looked at Alverton.

Thanks

Voca24

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

voca 24

..we stayed in Alverton for 2 weeks in April 2009

PM me if you have any questions

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Was this a rental through an agency or made directly with the owner? It sounds like a nightmare. I've used Altmans Rentals in the past and found them to be very professional.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

How was it at the Alverton, the pictures on the site look stunning, is it as good as it looks?

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

We stayed in a beautiful Villa (Chanel #5) on Paynes Bay. It was Heaven!! There are 6 Units in the building. They are 3 story townhouses and the beach is 20 steps away. They come with a cook, a maid, and a Laundress. I have nothing bad to say. All was better than I had imagined. Stayed for 10 nights in December 2009 and I just hung up from confirming our reservations for 10 nights for this December. We took an end Unit this time (Fathoms End). I don't know what type of budgets you are talking about but it is about $400USD/night for everything. There are 3 bedrooms each with their own private baths, so I think that is really cheap especially if you go with someone else and split the cost. The weather was perfect and so was everything else. I am counting the days until we get back there.

Mentioned in this post
Paynes Bay
Paynes Bay
Barbados
MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

Voca24

I am presently preparing a reply to someone else's questions on Alverton ...if you would like to PM me with your specific questions I could combine the 2

Mike

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Feedback on Paynes Bay Villa rentals

I am going to Barbados with my daughter in June, could you send me the link/details of the apartments you were recommending.

Many thanks

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean