We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

Which Saint James Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haverhill...
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

Considering a trip to Barbados next June.

Love Jamaica...looking for something a bit different this time.

I had to choose a specific location to post...I have no clue what part of the island we want to be on..

Not looking for an AI. Cheap is good..dont need all the bells and whistles..we make due with out A/C..or a TV..do not need a pool....bare minimum..Clean place to rest our weary selves..would consider a place with a kitchen though we dont usualy go that route. Do want a place with beach access, on the beach would be ideal. Looking to sleep 5 or 6..Quiet is great. Sunset over the water is a must!

We are adults and would rather not have kids around.

Ideal vacation is jumping on the scooter each day,exploring the island..stopping to eat swim,snorkle. Any cliffs to jump off in Barbados?

Budget-What can we expect to pay

Scooter rentals...available yes/no?

Food,cheap eats?

Tipping, airport shuttle cost?

What else might I want to know?

Thanks!

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

Hi Less,

You might want to check out my tips - lots of good information that you are looking for: www.barbadostips.com

June is good as rates are at their lowest. I'm not sure that beach access and cheap go together in Barbados, but several on this board may comment as they are familiar with some budget type accommodations.

Good you don't want AI as in Barbados there are many fantastic restaurants to enjoy -- some top of the line gourment, and others inexpensive foods.

If you want to jump off a cliff -- try The Crane. If you go for lunch you can later enjoy a swim. There is a great cliff there that a few in my family have jumped from (not me).

You will not find scooters -- you might try renting a mini-moke, or SUV of some sort. Stoutes has excellent vehicles. The roads in Barbados are not conducive to scooters -- too narrow, with drainage ditches lots of places.

PM me if you want more details.

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

Hi

not sure what your budget is but here are some accomodation suggestions

Jentillia chattel house - set right on the beach on the west coast near Mullins Beach

http://www.jencot.net/

Maxwell beach apartments - South coast on the beach -walking distance to Oistins

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p445923

quite a few other accomodations listed here:

shoestringbarbados.com/main_accommodation_re…

The south is usually considered cheaper to stay/eat but you can find all price ranges anywhere on the island

Local food is inexpensive and lots of food vans around which are good value for money.

Buses are very easy to use and cheap to get around the south & west coast of the island. Mini Mokes are probably the cheapest car rentals available to go over to the east/north coasts.

Good snorkelling places are Carlisle Bay,(South) Folkstone Park(West) among many others

Hope this helps

Oregon
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

We booked this,

http://www.vrbo.com/53207

Going in 11 days, we're the same, don't need all the bells and whistles. It has AC, a pool and it's a block away from the beach.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

Thank you all so much! Love the input! This might just be affordable..and something we would like..!

Sometimes planning the trip is almost as much fun as actually going..!

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

I'm a strong believer in a rental car. It's not a necessity but something that really adds to the vacation experience. By the time you pay for taxis, tours, etc., you'll be well on your way to the cost of a car. The flexibility of travel while on vacation is a beautiful thing. Forget about the scooters, get at least a moke.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

We stayed at Inchcape Seaside Villas on the South Coast in July 2008. http://www.inchcape.net/home/

It was really nice. The sea breeze felt like AC in the villa. The villas were well-kept. We had a kitchen so we mad our own breakfast/lunch some days. The cleaning ladies were nice- they even did our laundry for us one day (our stay there was after a stay in St. Lucia and before a stay in JA). We rented a car once we got there, the owners got the rental agency to come to us our first morning. The beach there was more for surfing but since we had the car we drove to different beaches. We drove to the market, different restaurants, attractions, etc.

We had so much fun we're planning to go back at some point but now we have a toddler to consider when making plans.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

Thanks for the info! How did you like St Lucia? I was just considering a vacation that included island hopping. Sounds like you had a decent amount of time to travel doing 3 stops. Where did you stay in Negril?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

St. Lucia was nice. We stayed at the Sandals Halcyon for 5 (really 4) days and 4 nights (M-F). Our St. Lucia trip started off bad due to HUGE delay. We got in so late we missed our entire first day and our opportunity to book the excursion we wanted. After we got over that we met some nice people at the resort and hung out with them most of the time we were there. We also visited the Sandals Grande which was much bigger, had more things to do, and had a better beach. We're considering visiting again in the future but for a longer stretch and probably not AI.

We spent Friday afternoon through Tuesday morning in Barbados. We went to Oistins, the animal reserve, Ocean Park, and Bathsheba. We also went on a catamaran trip that had snorkeling and a nice lunch with drinks. I have a relative there and we also had time to visit her. Getting around was pretty quick and easy. We had a lot of fun there and it we originally hadn't planned on staying that long. Barbados has lots of different lodging options and tons of restaurants to choose from. It's fairly easy to stick to a budget because of all of the options.

After St. Lucia I wanted to visit my family in JA and that's how we managed to book the trip to Barbados. My family is in Kingston & Linstead so that's the side we were on.

We're going to Negril in 2 weeks and staying at Beaches Negril. Our daughter needs to be a little older in order to appreciate and handle an island-hopping trip. Therefore, her first beach vacation will be at an AI resort.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

There is bike and scooter rental on the south coast - trying to remember the name of the company but it's in Hastings next to Allamanda Hotel - Paradise Scooter rentals I think...

Personally I would go for the car - rain can arrive quickly and there is a lot of traffic so a car would certainly be more comfortable alternative.

For cheaper accommodation check out www.shoestringbarbados.com

Sarah

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip?? Any and all suggestions?

ReggaeFlava -Your trips sound great! And plentyfull! Lucky you..yep traveling with a little one is different..though certainly fun in a different way! We just love JA. Figure if we are going away, we want to go away. I am bummed when I see a lot of familar places when on vacation..I like that there is only one Burger King in Negril....and nothing else.

Scary- Thanks for the link!

Love Negril..but do want to check out other locations too..just dont want to end up wishing we had gone to good ole Negril when all is said and done. Hence considering maybe checking out another location while we are at it!