We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

Which Saint James Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

I have a trip planned to go to Barbados and have been spooked by some of these stories lately about crime that has occurred in the daytime which really worries me. I would probably lose my deposit which I paid in cash to the hotel but damn I don't feel so great about going to a place where I have to worry about my safety this much. I don't go out to bars at night and I just want to relax on the beach and maybe take a walk on the beach but even that sounds like it could be dangerous in some parts. What worries me is that the last incident occurred in Holestown and we would be staying in Mullins Bay near Holestown. Maybe I am overreacting and yes, crime can happen anywhere but I am not feeling too thrilled about going to Barbados anymore. Believe me it will be a big hassle to cancel and one that will come without a loss of money.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,649 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

Well if you feel that strongly then you should cancel.. However.. I live here and I don't fear for my safety at all. It's an issue yes and unfortunately because people following what is going on in the rest of the world, it's likely gotten a bit worse than it should. Several of the incidents recently have been out of sheer frustration of people thinking this was the only way out.. ill planned and subsequently they land themselves in jail.. might be a better place for them to get a good meal and a place to sleep.

Commonsense should prevail, however.. the crime rate in Barbados is nothing compared to the rest of the world.. I can also tell you, having lived here for 18 years, it seems to come in cycles.. I think this is just one of them.

the choice, however, is up to you. If you decide not to come to Barbados, it would like to know where you are planning to go, if anywhere at all.

just remember this. If the criminal keeps you from doing what you want to do, they have won.. and seriously.. aren't you a bit stronger than that???

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

We would be staying at Mullins Bay as I previously mentioned and our plans are to just relax on the beach, visit Bridgetown and maybe venture into Hotestown for a dinner or eat somewhere close to the hotel.

" If the criminal keeps you from doing what you want to do, they have won.. and seriously.. aren't you a bit stronger than that???

To respond to that all I can say is that I need to feel comfortable more than proving anything to anyone including myself. I am going to give a few days to think about my options before I make any decisions. Thank you for your response, Sunniedgi. I do appreciate it and will consider your perspective.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

I agree that you should cancel if you are so nervous about the crime rate here in Barbados as reported here on the tripadvisor forums, after all a vacation is supposed to be a relaxing get-away-from-it-all experience. However, I find it hard to believe that the crime rate here is higher than wherever you are from and it sounds like you'd better get a police report from any and all countries you are considering visiting to reassure yourself. There is crime EVERYWHERE, I suppose the only way to ensure you are not a victim of crime is to simply stay in your house.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

I agree with Sunniebgi, it's your decision and no one on this site can make that for you and obviously you're not asking someone to decide for you. However that being said and having travelled extensively to places that can be considered quite unsafe I have always found that taking normal precautions saves problems.

Due to the fact Barbados is a well disciplined society any crime is seen as terrible and the local population gets very upset. I find sometimes there's an over reaction compared to what I see at home. On the other hand local authorities don't seem to understand that informing the public of problems and issues in itself can prevent crime by making people aware and asking for either information or giving advice.

So wherever you travel there are crime issues and it really is all about being thoughtful and taking "normal" precautions. It's not because someone is on vacation that they shouldn't lock doors, shut windows when going out or not wear expensive jewellery or carry large amounts of cash when shopping or leave things in their bag unattended at the beach. Common sense prevails.

Like I said at the beginning, it is your choice and decision but wherever you go in to-days world taking care of personal safety is your responsibility and by doing so you will reduce any risk substantially.

Overall Barbados is quite a safe destination.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Edited: 04 December 2010, 14:10
Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

(by the way, I've lived here 17 years, my kids were born here and we go to the beach all the time, go to the stores etc etc. and just, basically, live our lives. I'd never consider not going out and about with my family here and think it's absolutely quite ridiculous to hear people are scared to come here!!! Not much on tripadvisor can surprise me or prompt a string reaction from me anymore, but the notion that Barbados is so dangerous that people should not vacation here is very surprising/ upsetting and frankly ridiculous!)

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

*strong* reaction, not *string*

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

I have traveled extensively and have been either very lucky or very cautious because nothing has ever happened to me. What is bothersome about some of the crimes mentioned lately in Barbados is that they have occurred in broad daylight. Walking on a semi deserted beach is one thing but for a mugging to happen in a place like Holestown is what really bothers me.

Also, well aware that crime can happen elsewhere and I am very much aware of police reports in my own city. Thank you

London
Level Contributor
185 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

And then there is the very real risk of staying at home and dying of boredom.

I am staying on Sandy Lane Beach at the moment, arrived on Wednesday. Things here are absolutely normal, people going about , not looking over their shoulders. Lively crowd last night on 2nd St. and plenty of people walking on the streets last night in Holetown and the people of Barbados as friendly as ever.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

Hi InBarbados,

You make think that it is ridiculous to feel worried about traveling to Barbados but reading about specific incidents lately does make me concerned . I have read some reasonable comments on my post so I am starting to feel somewhat more assured about still going to Barbados.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Really worried about safety in Barbados/may cancel trip

Thank you Lundun, that's good to hear.

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish