We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking distance of Colony Club

London
Level Contributor
438 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Walking distance of Colony Club

Can anyone advise what is in walking distance of the Colony Club? We are tossing up between that and Tamarind for our hols next year with a baby - would like to have some restaurant options for lunch/dinner that we could walk to as opposed to getting taxi's all the time as would be easier with the baby in a stroller.....plus not over keen on taking them in a car without a baby seat....

Perhaps someone could advise.

Thanks

spacecadet74
Level Contributor
157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

The only place I remember being within walking distance to CC is Groots bar & they are only open at night & weren't family friendly the one time we visited (& didn't much want to give them another go). You might be able to walk to Sassafras on the road opposite the CC but not 100% sure how far up the road it would be (& you'd need to factor the heat into that!). The main roads aren't great to walk on so wouldn't advise with a stroller (Groots is do-able). How old will your little one be then (think I replied to you on another thread, are they 10 months?). You can get buses easily & you aren't far from Holetown at CC. Do you have a travel system with a car seat attachment you could take with you to use in taxis?

Mentioned in this post
Groots
Groots
116 Reviews
Barbados
Sassafras
Sassafras
28 Reviews
Barbados
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Barbados
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

Colony Club is 5 minutes walking distance to Groots and Spagos and 15 minutes (2 mins taxi) to Holetown where you have many options of dining. If you get a 5 minute taxi the other direction you have JuJus (beach restaurant/bar) which is on the beach and better during the day and sundowners or Lonestar which is great for lunch and dinner but more fine dining.

Mentioned in this post
Groots
Groots
116 Reviews
Barbados
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

Hi

The issue with child buggies and Barbados is the distinct lack of continuous pavements/sidewalks on the out of town roads - regardless of which part of the island you are on.

Colony is a nice hotel and whilst I’ve not been to the new Tamarind it has been recently extensively upgraded and looks good. But both are out of town and walking on the coast highway even without a buggy requires considerable care even in daylight as there is no continuous pathways of any distance. We’ve walked Colony to Holetown many times on the road but would be reluctant with a buggy as it involves some pavement, some grassy bits and some on the road – and traffic whilst generally considerate can be very busy at times. Holetown is a good 20-30 minute walk from Colony depending on pace!

As was said you’d want to avoid Groots and you can’t walk to Sassafras at Sugar Hill estate with (or without!) a buggy – too far, uphill and no pavement.

There are buses but not ideal for young kids. Taxis or hire car the only option.

My suggestion would be to consider being based in Holetown where you could push a buggy more easily. Mango Bay – all inclusive – but you could eat out. Villas on the Beach self catering and on the water if not the beach due to the boardwalk!

Or it is a bit quiet but we’ve stayed at Sugar Hill (near to and a smaller version of Westmoreland) where you have Sassafras restaurant, 2 pools and acres of gated community and paved roads where you can safely buggy around. But to get to other restaurants or Holetown you’d need a car or taxi. Google it on Holiday Rentals – lots of nice apartments and reasonable pricing.

Hope you find an option that suits..

Good luck

Jim

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
Groots
Groots
116 Reviews
Barbados
Sassafras
Sassafras
28 Reviews
Barbados
London
Level Contributor
438 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

Thanks again everyone - really helpful. Wouldnt want to put the poor baby in danger by pushing it along a highway!!

My best friend just came back from 2 weeks at Mango Bay and was raving about it so perhaps will consider that too as an option...will be getting the full report at the weekend.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

You may want to consider The Sandpiper. It is a 5 minute walk into Holetown where there are lots of restaurants. Also the new Limegrove Center is open right there and lots of high-end shops, restaurants and a cinema as well. You would have many more options by staying at this hotel. Another one located about the same distance is Settlers Beach Hotel - lovely villa type accommodations.

You may want to check out my tips at: www.barbadostips.com for other ideas and my pictures.

Mentioned in this post
The Sandpiper
The Sandpiper
319 Reviews
Barbados
Holetown
Holetown
Barbados
London
Level Contributor
438 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

Thanks for the suggestion - I did look at the sandpiper although not sure it is a baby friendly hotel....pretty sure i read somewhere it is older children only.......will check again though.

7. Re: Walking distance of Colony Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 21:18