We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Almost ......

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
805 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Almost ......

Got to the check in this morning for our flight to Barbados to be told that there was a 7 hour flight delay. Thank goodness we had booked an airport lounge.

What is the longest your flight has been delayed?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,912 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Almost ......

Nemesis

Let me guess, Virgin Atlantic right? They've been notorious for their operational delays and just last week one of their 747s blew a wheel at TAB and was grounded for two days which is still causing minor problems to their network.

My longest delay was probably 2 hours, flying LHR-JFK in February on AA. I usually don't get many delays at all.

Regards

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Almost ......

Sorry to hear that Nemesis - not a great start to your holiday. Only ever had a Virgin delay once and that was 4 hours but they did send a text message to warn us not to turn up at the airport until later.

Worst ever delay for me was 14 hours coming back from Florida.

Hope you are on your way soon!

WEST MIDLANDS
Level Contributor
424 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Almost ......

Worst for me was a whole 24hrs! that was with virgin, only last month. even got through departures etc, found out about half hr before we were due to board!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,912 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Almost ......

They really do need to hurry up and get the remaining A330-300s added to their fleet. They have no reserve aircraft whatsoever should an emergency surface such as last weeks...

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Almost ......

What was last week's emergency?

The flight departed 4 hours late, not too bad in the grand scale of things, VA have an excellent record for timing. I travel regularly on BA and VA and there is not much to choose between the two companies.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,912 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Almost ......

Devares33

Flight VS52 from TAB-LGW burst a wheel while taxing which shut the airport down and delayed the flight from Thursday to Saturday. The knock-on effects are still being felt and a small number of VS flights have been operating with 3-4hour delays in the last two days. Particularly the KIN, MCO and LAS flights. They decided to dump the delayed aircraft on the BGI route today...for some strange reason.

The difference between the two is the handling of the situation such as this. BA has the option of transferring one of their 40+ 777s from LHR over to LGW or vice versa to operate a particular flight, as they've done in the past.. Whereas, because VS has just 40 planes, they don't have the same luxury. The problem is intensified because the LGW-BGI-LGW flights are 747 operated and are literally packed at the moment, so VS needs a maximum capacity 747 (451 seater) aircraft. They are unfortunately only 8 aircraft in their fleet with that capacity.

Regards

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Almost ......

Thank you for that information Sir, I don't think I am dreaming but last month I flew from LGW to and from BGI on a brand new VA airbus. No doubt you will convince me it was a figment of my imagination.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,912 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Almost ......

Devares33

Sorry to say, it was a figment of your imagination.

VS currently has three new A330s and these operate exclusively on the following three routes:

GLA-MCO

MAN-MCO

LGW-MCO

The other reason why I can assure you they couldn't have flown one to BGI is because the three current A330s have no Upper Class cabin on-board. They've been configured exclusively with economy and premium economy seats.

The only time VS sends an Airbus to Barbados is around Christmas time when they habitually operate three LHR-BGI flights with an A340-300.

Regards

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Almost ......

ive had 2 delays, the first was with XL few years ago, on way back flight was cancelled 2 days in row due to "technical issues" wasnt too bad tho as had 2 extra nights in Barbaods, only down side was not knowing what was going on all the time, and the constant queueing for hotels/transfers etc!!

2nd was last sept, had great flight over, then we hit storm as we descended into BGI , they closed the airport (so the captain said, altho the ground staff when we finally arrived said different!! lol) so we had to divert to St lucia, after being grounded their for an hour and half sat on the plane, we then went to Antigua,( as the flight was due to go on to there after BGI)

had to disembark, go thru security queue for ages etc and eventually arrived in BGI 8hrs late!!!!

UK Cornwall
Level Contributor
171 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Almost ......

your very knowledgable on the subject genetic, your infomation is very interesting, may i ask where you get this from??