We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales at Paynes Bay

Which Saint James Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whales at Paynes Bay

We were so lucky to see the beautiful whales yesterday. They first appeared in the morning, close to where the boats feed the turtles. Then again in the afternoon they moved along the water towards the fish market. They were a fabulous sight - diving in and out of the water, crashing their tales and fins into the water and sending spouts of water into the air. Some little boats and jet skis got quite close. I was told there were two - mother and baby - not sure if that was correct, but was told that the mother comes here to have her baby?? I've never seen them before, so hope they appear again before I go home.

Northants. UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

Fantastic. We spotted them from the beach at Alleynes Bay on Monday & could see them spouting and just lift out the water before they dived. We are here for two weeks so hoping to see them again.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

I will be in Barbados March / April next year , I really hope they come back again then... Would love to see them

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

sunshinegirl024

That is great news! Hope they are still there in 2 weeks time!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

They've been around that area for the last couple days. Hopefully they'll stay a few more days.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
10,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

They passed by Surfside yesterday evening -----------------so lovely to see.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

Glad you saw them Sunshinegirl, they are amazing to see aren't they, I loved seeing them off Alleynes when we were in Bim mid March. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

camberley uk
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

Had enough of them for a lifetime after the game in Cardiff.

Sorry that was Wales. Whales are different.

south east
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

Yes, we were so lucky to see them, and they were amazing UK Trip Fan. No further sightings today. Hope they return for your arrival Babiface.

Canada
Level Contributor
569 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

Are there many sightings of wales - we dont arrive until 20th May I would love to see them

have never been to Barbados - on a slightly different note are there any sharks?????

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whales at Paynes Bay

In all the years we've been traveling to Barbados have never seen or heard of sharks inside the reef. . You'd have to swim way out into the ocean to find sharks.