We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

South Wales
Level Contributor
226 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Is it recommended to hire a car whilst in Barbados? If so how much is it approx?

NORTH WEST
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire

A traffic island is a 'roundabout' imagine a circle with roads going off it at each quarter and you have to give way to the traffic coming around the island and nip across or turn into a road when the road is clear - I bet that's as clear as mud to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire

Plus don't forget rental cars all have the infamous H on the license plate. People generally allow the H plates the space they need.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Hire

Re maps: some of the roundabouts are relatively new, meaning just a few years old. I don't know when the most recent maps circulating were printed. That happens anywhere there's development going on. Western Miami has undergone so many changes recently, lots of development - whenever I go there and rent a car, I'm surprised how many new roads and buildings are there! Even near the Miami airport they have changed up a couple of those roads and junctions after the last hurricane - the Hertz rental counter directed me the correct way, as the old way I knew was no longer applicable!

My point really is that it happens anywhere. When you're driving in unfamiliar territory you have to be prepared for the map not to match the roads 100%. Not only that, but road construction, accidents etc. can cause you to have to detour off the planned route. Many of the roads in Barbados aren't marked that well, but it's hard to truly get lost, as all roads lead to a major road eventually where you can see by the bus stops if you're heading to town or away from it. You can also see the sea from many places, which can help orient you. Failing all that, almost anyone you ask for directions will cheerfully help you. It's not a big island, and if you allow yourself plenty of driving and "get lost" time, you will be fine.

However, if not knowing exactly where you are going is going to stress you too much, then take taxis and tours. You are on vacation! Only you know yourself well enough to determine if you can handle driving your own car.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Hire

roundabouts are traffic circles. some are larger than others.. some make perfectly good sense, while others really are rather stupid and we often wonder why they are there... In Barbados they have slightly different rules than anywhere else. they are supposed to "ease" the flow of traffice, but I'm not sure they do that.

Colmar, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Hire

Thanks to all on the definition. New Jersey has had them for decades. Totally understand.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Hire

We are from VA and travel in Washington, DC daily. Traffic circles here (roundabouts in Barbados). Here, with traffic lights and going counter-clockwise always seem much more difficult than doing the roundabouts in Barbados.

At the moment they are traffic-light free and go clockwise. My husband does much better there with them than he does in our area.

Lois

17. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish
Recent Conversations