We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September trip

Which Saint James Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
September trip

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Barbados/holetown in September, staying at the all seasons resort, an looking for some good advice. We book purposely avoid all inclusives so we can be immersed in the local food culture. I've looked elsewhere but I'm weary of some of the restaurants I've seen on websites (very Americanized). I'd love to have some suggestions on what's the most authentic, and not too expensive. Also, looking for good places to get breakfast/lunch. This will be our first time to Barbados and we don't really know anyone else who has travelled there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,308 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September trip

We always suggest our friends visit Brown Sugar - they have an extensive buffet with all sorts of varieties of Bajan cuisine.. Also The Atlantis Hotel on the east coast used to do a wonderful Bajan Sunday lunch.

As for local restaurants in Holetown - Cafe Carizma in the Chattel Village gets good reviews,Spagos on 2nd st, does good pizza and italian dishes- also on 2nd st. Elbow Room is fun for a change to cook one's dinner on a hot stone - so many restaurants to choose from in Holetown - just wander up and down 1st and 2nd st plus along the main road and over in the Lime Grove Mall - or hop on the bus and explore Speightstown to the north and Paynes Bay, Bridgetown, and the south coast too.

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September trip

Just Grillin has good food,quite reasonable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
706 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September trip

I agree with anothersadowner on Brown Sugar. Not sure how long you're there for but would highly recommend popping to Oistins one Friday evening for dinner at the fish fry. If you happen to be in Bridgetown around lunch time, the restaurant upstairs in Cave Shepherd serves good Bajan cuisine at a decent price (BBQ lamb chops, mac pie and coleslaw being my personal favourite). Enjoy your holiday!

Edited: 25 August 2013, 07:18
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: September trip

Ramshackle s and Ju Jus are good places for lunch and dinner, a little further north from Holetown on Alleynes Beach. Surfside and Zachios are right in Holetown and serve up decent food at realistic prices, I will also second Just Grilling. Take a bus up to Speightstown and visit the Fishermans Pub.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September trip

If you eat at Just Grillin ask for a loyalty card and when it is full you get one free meal. Helps the budget a bit!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,665 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September trip

Meadowsm20

You definitely will be missing out on the fantastic food on offer at the Atlantis as they are closed from September 2nd to October 10th. The Buffets on Wednesday and Sunday are absolutely fantastic. As an alternative, I would suggest Brown Sugar for sure.

Regards

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September trip

Is Cariba at Derricks still open?

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September trip

Recommend Just Grillin'. We stayed in a villa in Sunset Crest last year not far from where you're staying and youll be able to walk there.

We are going in October and have now got Brown Sugar on the list! Will continue to watch this thread for suggestions.

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September trip

Just Grillin is great for a quick and very reasonably priced meal.

Surfside and Zaccios also recommended for their happy hours and food for lunch and evening meals with a beachside setting.

Cafe Carizma in the chattel village is great for breakfasts and lunch.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
10,308 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September trip

Hummac - don't forget to add Atlantis if you are not already a fan. it will be open again in October.

Get answers to your questions about Saint James Parish