We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

DC_Area
8 posts
Save Topic
2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

Hi!

Is end of May - beginning of June a good time to go to Barbados? Does it rain a lot? is it too hot? hurricane season - does that affect Barbados?

has anyone stayed at Allamanda Beach Resort? the reviews I've read so far all say good things but thought I'd ask.

We like the beach but get bored laying around so we need activities (for ex: found Aruba boring), such as sightseeing. We like to snorkel, take photography, hike, visit historical/cultural sites.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

Well beginning of June is the start of hurricane season however Barbados generally doesn't get affected and the weather then is usually very good at May end/June beginning. You will probably get the odd shower - that's normal but you should get loads of sunshine too.

Allamanda Beach is not right on the beach - it is on the water however. It's a very popular hotel and has a lot of repeat guests - the bar and restaurant is very good and friendly. The accommodation is spacious and faily basic. If you want to be right on the beach I would recommend Coral Mist or Coral Sands.

I have been to Aruba and couldn't agree more about the boredom factor - it's really just a couple of long stretches of beach with lots of bodies laying on them and not mush else. You will, i happy to say, find Barbados almost completely different!.

Chesk out www.barbados.org and the Barbados Tourism Authority's website www.visitbarbados.org

There's loads of info about the island and stuff to do - one thing is you will not get bored.

Sarah

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

It doesn't vary a great deal whenever you go apart from the very centre of hurricane time (sept-Oct) any other variations are minor to visitors ,locals notice climate changes more.

I thought Aruba was like a desert with nicer shops!

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

Hi -- This is my first time on this forum. We were about to book a trip to Jamaica, but Barbados is sounding funner.

Does anyone know if the Allamanda Beach Resort provides a van back and forth to Bridgetown (10 minute drive?) How about to their "sister resort," the Amaryllis (3 minute drive?)

Is the bus nice and cheap and reliable, I hope.

How far is the walk to a good swimming beach? How about to a snorkeling beach?

Thanks for the help --

Mickey

Berkeley, CA

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

The main difference between Barbados & Jamaica is that you are unlikely to get killed if you wander out of your resort in Barbados!

WIGAN UK
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

You dont recommend Jamaica then JTD? lol

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

On my last trip to Barbados last July, I also went to the Bahamas first as well, and on my way down to Barbados I was going to stop off in Jamaica, but we actually have travel warnings here in Australia for Jamaica, so I didn't go, as I was on my own, no travel warnings for Barbados, of course!!!! lol

scotland
Level Contributor
30 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

Barbados is a wonderful island. The people are very friendly and the scenery is stunning. Plenty to do and see. The catamaran cruises are fun. Take a trip with Ted's Island tours - he is fabulous and it is not like any sightseeing trip you have ever been on.

The Cliff Restaurant is well worth a visit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

Just want to address the comment made by JOHNTHEDOG about Getting killed if you leave your resort in Jamaica. That is a ridiculous statement to make and this forum is meant to inform travellers with honest opnions - not with nonsense meant to frighten them.

I have lived and worked in both Barbados and Trinidad and have travelled to Jamaica several times with no incidence. I have left the resort many many times for day trips to the mountains, waterfalls as well as nights out "off the resort". Please get your facts straight unless unfortunately you have travelled with someone who is no longer with us in which case I apologize for my insensitivity.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

I have visited jamaica several times and I have to admit the first time I went about 21 years ago i did feel a little intimidated however I have visited several times since - a couple of those on my own and didn't feel worried at all. I think jamaica is a lovely island and the people in general are nice - wherever you go there is always someon 'not quite right" if you know what I mean. having said all that jamaica unfortunately has suffered from a bad reputation for violence and despite the fact that I'm sure it has improved a lot it takes years for that to change in peoples minds - it really is a shame. One of the things that has changed that is the all-inclusive resort in jamaica and high security - this doesn't mean you can't leave the hotel compound but tends to make people feel "oh why bother? we have everything we want on site!"

Barbados has less all-inclusives and I feel that is because the island generally always has been quite safe - i am not saying that there aren't occassional incidents - there are - but they are very few and far between.

It is very safe to hop on and off of buses here - it costs Bds $1.50 to go on any trip (US 75cents). The island is loads smaller than Jamaica but there's loads to do. The beaches are lovely, there are loads of restaurants to chose from - from the high enderd like The Cliff and Restaurant at Southsea, to Scotty's in the Gap right at the other end of the spectrum. There's quite a bit of nightlife to chose from. Daytime actiivities include day cruises, golf, Helicopter trips, 4x4 Jeep Tours, Beach parties, all sorts of water sports, hiking, Submarine trips, etc. etc.

Come to Barbados and have a great time!

Sarah

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Barbados questions: best time to go + AllamandaBeachResort

oh and in answer to your question how far is the beach from Allamanda I would say it's 5 mins walk maximum.

Sarah

Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish