We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

We are due to travel this week and having spent a magical honeymoon here years ago the only fly/flies in the ointment were the mosquito & sandfly bites. We previously travelled in May 95 just wondered if the problem exists at this time of year & if so the wife justs needs to know whether to pack the Jungle Formula or a rec'd alternative. Thanks Paul

1. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2008, 23:31
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

I have never travelled in Feb, but as far as I know they will still be around! The sand flies seem to find my feet after just 2 minutes in the sand, and as for the invisible mozzies (no-see-ums I believe they are known as!), well, they can see me!! I would definitely take some kind of repellant, best to take it and not use it than the other way around! Have you seen the "mozzie bands"? they are similar to travel sickness bands, but impregnated with citronella etc and you wear one on your ankle and one on the opposite wrist at night and it keeps them away!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

This is it - the answer - take a repellant with a high % of DEET, this is all that works that's it! (as long as you have no adverse reaction to it.)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Forgot to say, I once heard that "a shot of tequila keeps the mozzies away"! I've never tried it though...

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Ohhh where do you get those wrist bands from. I'll try anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Petra x (Mozzies altime fave feast)

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

I got some here in Morrisons of all places!

I'd imagine Boots would do them too.

Emelda

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Plumfy - I know the feeling! I got my wristbands from Superdrug last time, about GBP2.99 I think. Have you tried using the electric plug-ins? we've also taken an oil burner in the past and burned eucalyptus oil and citronella (be careful with citronella as some of it is outdoor use only) and that seemed to work. I always take antihistamines for a week or so and during holidays to take the itch away if all else fails!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Been searching all night. I've found these - Mosi-bands and Deet Insect Repellent Bands.

Before I buy them does anyone know IF THE REALLY WORK!

Please help

P x

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Thank you all for your informative replies, i guess i was hoping you all would say this is a summer phenomenon & no worries at this time of year!!...Alas, i will be hot-footing it to Superdrug 2moro to buy those magical wristbands to keep the little blighters off me...I did understand that sandflies were only a problem late pm/early evening just wondered if they have changed their dining habits! Paul

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes/Sandflies in February?

Hi We stayed at the Coral mist for one week in Jan 19-26. We did not get one sandflee bite and my husband got one mosquito bite, and I got none. maybe we were just lucky, husband has been badly bitten by sandflees on other Islands. Good luck and have a great vacatiom!!!

Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish