We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados Hotels

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barbados Hotels

Have been reading reviews on many of the hotels in Barbados and where the reviewers came from, primarily the UK. I started to notice that many of the high score hotels were rated by UK guests and the lower scores were from US guests.

It occurred to me that anyone that has traveled in the UK would recognize that the standard of hotels in the UK is lower than what we from the US consider standard, not to mention luxury. Perhaps what seems wonderful to someone from the UK would only be considered average to someone from the US.

essex england
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados Hotels

Hi Travelnut38

My guess about the gap between U S vistors expectations and those from the U K is this .When we travel abroad as most of us do, the last thing we want to see is a standard ole hilton or travelodge type U S hotel ,we do seem to like hotels with a bit of charm, with staff that want to look after us whether or not they get a good tip(something we are not good at ) we never compare hotels abroad with those at home,so therefore we tend to give better reviews than maybe they deserve if you were to compare like for like.You must remember that these are third world countries at this time,expensive ones at that,I went to aruba last year an island that the yanks rave over ,what a dump great big hotels with no soul ,no big tips no good service, but you guys love it, it was like Blackpool on Es. so its horses for courses, listen to your countrymen not us Brits, if thats what you expect.Oh and by the way we do have the worlds best hotels its just that you guys cant afford to stay there, what with the exchange rate as it is at the moment...........L O L

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados Hotels

I agree totally with brianj ! You U.S guys seem to think we brits are in awe of luxury hotels, but in actual fact we are much more discerning, and look for lots of different qualities when we book. Also, I,ve noticed, in Barbados , you throw big tips at the bajans, but you never take the time to get to know them, or even their name! Lets face it our cultures are different, and I for one am not remotely fazed by your big hitter attitude. I assume you will be booking in at the Barbados Hilton on your next vacaton? Happy Hols.

uk.
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados Hotels

i can see the point that travelnut is getting at. but i think he misses a coulple of points...1. 90% people in the uk have a passport,so there is alarger cross section to voice a opinion on all types of accomadation in barbados. .. 2. only8%, istand corrected if wrong,)of u.s.a. cit hold a passport. so your opinions are always going to be abit one sided. no offence intented. regards tusk

WIGAN UK
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados Hotels

Travelnut I also thought that a lot of views from the UK were honest and praise and criticism given fairly. I have travelled extensively in the USA and the UK and I think that in the major cities the hotels are on par with each other as they have all nationalities to cater for and believe me you Americans are not as hard to please as some Europeans. What are you comparing Barbados to - Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica. Barbados caters for a more gentile traveller who loves the calm and beauty of the island and its people, that is the luxury of Barbados. My American cousins love the charm of England but boy can they winge about trivia.

essex england
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados Hotels

Wellsaid wigangirl

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados Hotels

I assume that you meant "gentle traveller" wigangirl. Oh, the pitfalls of the English language!! And spelling. There's a very funny reference on the Wales forum to a topless bus trip around Cardiff. Probably refers to an open top deck tour bus but the imagination boggles!!!

WIGAN UK
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados Hotels

Senior 65 - I apologise for my typing error, are you a comedian by any chance?

NORTH WEST
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados Hotels

A topless bus ride means what it says, the bus has no top.

In New York we went on a 'Red Bus Topless City Ride' what would you have made of that Senior 65?

WALES
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados Hotels

SENIOR 65 what cheek! the way north americans have bastardized the English language

essex england
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbados Hotels

You were right first time wigangirl.

The adjective gentil(polite and refined) from the old french orgin.Our language, i repeat our language is very old, so i dont think the new world has quite got to grips with it yet.