We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Creepy, Crawly Animals

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Creepy, Crawly Animals

I am travelling to the Bougainvillea from 25 March to 03 April 2010, with my young daughter and mother. I am wondering if there are any issues with animals that bite/sting or are just plain creepy:

mosquitoes

snakes - land or sea

stinging animals

jelly fish

I am not obessive - just want to be informed! Thank you in advance

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

Hi. there can be mosquitos, but at that time of year you should not be bothered. If you are concerned, bring whatever you would use at home. Some people do get sand flea bites. As for snakes - not on the island, and unless you are out snorkelling among reefs you won't see them in the water. Stinging animals - no. Occasionally, depending on heavy wave action you might see small jellyfish washed up on the beach, but that's not common.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

I agree - take mossie repellant and after bite as they are around as are the sand flies or no-see-ums as they're known!

There are no snakes on the island (other than those in captivity as pets) due to the introduction of the mongoose some years ago.

Watch out for "40 leggers", big centipedes as apparently they can inflict a nasty bit, but I've never seen one, nor have I every seen a jellyfish but do be aware as on the odd occasion they are spotted.

Other than that, Barbados isn't really somewhere that has a "creepy crawly" population - thank goodness!!

On a cuter note, look out for turtles, especially baby ones that hatch on the beaches and the monkeys that are around greener areas! Oh and little geckos/lizards.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

If you find mozzies a problem I would recommend a stronger repellant with deet.

lowestoft
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

We have just returned from Barbados and had a few bites from mozzies! You can buy sprays with deet from any supermarket or chemist there..probably best to buy it there rather than home...some that last 8 hours...best to spray yourself in the evenings to avoid the bites..also take antihistamine tablets for a week before..I am sure that helped !

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

Antihistamines have no residual effect in the body. Once the dosage wears off, it's out of your system entirely in no longer than 24 hours, sometimes as few as 4 hours. They don't build up a cumulative effect by taking them for a longer time. There's really no point in taking them a week before your trip unless you need to dry up your sinuses.

If you do get a bite, they can help ease the swelling and itchiness. If you're one of those with a significant reaction to bites, take an anithistamine the day you get to Barbados and continue while you're there. That's really all you need.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

drink tonic water ( or rum and tonic as I prefer) the quinnine (?) repels the mozzies

believe me it works!!

and after a shower aplly baby lotion before going out in the evening

my hubby was a feeding point for the mozzies first year we went ( 25 bites on one leg from knee down ouch!)

but since drinking the tonic water he usually only gets a couple all holiday

i'm lucky they don't like me as I never get bitten

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

Thank you kindly for all the answers everyone! My daughter is quite allergic to mossie bites, which is a worry (some get infected to golf ball size!). I will certainly bring an antihistamine.

Will load up on the repellant and hope we get lucky!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

Thanks Bajanwanabee - I have heard about tonic before and assumed it was a 'wive's tale'. Worth trying though. Tonic and rum? I guess my 10 year old will sleep well (KIDDING of course.....ha ha).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

LittleMissRed - My daughter will love the turtles, and 'wildlife'. We always enjoy that in Hawaii. I will start counting the 'sleeps' until 25 March!

Edited: 10 January 2010, 19:46
MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Creepy, Crawly Animals

Mozzies are (IMO) the biggest threat but they can be very localised and vary according to the time of the year ...put mozzies in the search box for 100s of posts and suggestions

Avon Skin So Soft has a big reputation with some on here and has worked for me

Also if you like it ....Marmite ...on a daily basis works for me as does tonic water

Best cream IMO is Antisan

Antihistamines DO NOT build up in the body and some ( even the 'non drowsy') can make you sleepy

Also you could Google ...how to stop mozzie bites