We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

silver sands resort.

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
silver sands resort.

Hi has anyone stayed here recently. I've read the reviews and there seems to be very mixed comments. anyone know how much it will cost from the airport in a taxi, what is the best room to go for.

should i bother with all inclusive is it worth it?

do the have beach towels and hair dryer or do i have to bring my own ? where is the best place to buy a local simm card and lastly are there shops or markets nearby.

thanks everyone x

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: silver sands resort.

Reviews are just that, peoples opinions based on their expectations versus what they feel they got for their money. So each comment is just as valid as the other and they are quite varied.

Taxi costs are fixed prices by the government, there's a taxi website (put taxi prices in the above search box) that you can go to that will give you the price. However it shouldn't be more than $25 Bds as it's quite close to the airport.

The issue of all inclusive versus self catering has been answered many times just put self catering versus all inclusive in the search box and you'll find pages of comments.

Normally beach towels and hair dryers are supplied by the hotel. That should be on their website.

Silver Sands is not really close to anything but close enough to Oistins where you can shop for groceries and there are some reasonable to excellent restaurants in the area. There's also Oistins Fish Market not too far away.

There are many suppliers of simm cards and it's an evolving market so what is said now might not be valid when you go.

Edited: 09 May 2010, 14:50
england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: silver sands resort.

I can't answer all your questions but I stayed there a few years ago. I wouldn't stay there again because for me it is a bit isolated. The sea is also rough there. You would have to take your own hair dryer.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
201 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: silver sands resort.

I stayed at Silver Sands a couple of years ago for 3 nights. Enough said 3 nights would be about the max you would want to stay. There is nothing around it, no great beach or restaurants. Have you been to Barbados before? Because if not you need to list the things that you want to get out of your holiday, and then let some of us know, who have travelled the island. We can at least give you some suggestions, based on experience, then you choose.

london
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: silver sands resort.

Oh god what have i let myself in for!!

no never been to Barbados before and the only reason i have chosen SSs is because we are attending a wedding and that is where all the guests are staying! I only know the bride and groom what am i going to do lol!!! trust me lol! Ok lets try and make this a more positive experience since i have paid for it now so can't change the hotel. what can i do for days out which is relatively near and safe to travel to I don't want to spend ever day on boat trips or in the water. what about somewhere to sit read a book and people watch I might get to see some celebs how boring is that, please help!!

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: silver sands resort.

I have never stayed there but have been to the hotel it is in quite large grounds and is on a beach but the sea is quite wavy. It would not be my choice because of how far away from away from restaurants and bars its is.

How long are you staying there? Could you cancel some of the time and spend a few days elsewhere.

I would normally not stay anywhere AI but unless you are prepared to travel to bars and restaurants it may be advisable. Will you have a car. I know two different couples who stayed at this hotel and neither came away unhappy, the reason without doubt was that they had paid £499 for a week including flights and therefore their expectations were not for luxury. If you get value for money and it is CLEAN then people will write reasonable reviews. If you look at the OK reviews they mainly talk about 'good value'.

Did you book as a package? If so you could see how you feel when you get there and if not acceptable try to get a move. But either way go there and have a good time as there is a group of you, you probably will.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: silver sands resort.

Ashtry just go and have a good time. As I said it wouldn't be my first choice because of the location but having said that when we stayed there we did have a great holiday. You can catch the ZR vans and go anywhere for $1.50 bds and it doesn't take long to get to the Gap. We hired a car for one of our weeks there which made it better and we went all round the island. There is a little shop on site if you want to do a bit of self catering too. I didn't mean to put you right off your holiday ( I didn't know you had booked it), it is just that having been quite a few times to Barbados I prefer to be in different locations but it really is quite easy to get around on the buses and vans. We always call back there to have a look and have spoken to many people who were really enjoying themselves there, so go and enjoy!!!

Oh and by the way I have never seen any celebs there,lol. You are more likely to find them on the west coast though I would say. You can get up there by bus quite easily and it is worth seeing as much of the island as possible while you are there. The grounds are perfectly nice to sit in though and read a book so I am sure you will be fine.

Edited: 11 May 2010, 11:14
Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: silver sands resort.

Check out my tips for travelers and you might get some ideas of what you can do and how to get there (private tour, taxis, etc.). You will be in an isolated location, with a very rough sea (good for wind surfing). I guess that's why it is a good idea to do lots of research before booking anything.

But now that it's paid for, make the best of it. The resort looked ok.

My tips are at: www.barbadostips.com

london
Level Contributor
148 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: silver sands resort.

just got back and can honestly say it was worst then the reviews that have previously been posted. after the second day i was counting the days home, The accommodation was awful and most of the check in staff were extremely rude with a could'nt careless attitude. the bar/pool staff we friendly though. The place was empty and run down, most nights we were the only ones in the restaurant or bar, would i go back NO. i will try and write a full review so as to be more helpful to other travelers later in the week,

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: silver sands resort.

Oh dear, sorry to hear it was that bad Ashtry.

World
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: silver sands resort.

not surprised - that jibes entirely with my experience - and they didn't even have the excuse that it was low season!