We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Advice

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SOUTHEND ON SEA...
8 posts
Save Topic
Currency Advice

I'm visiting barbados in a couple of weeks and wondered if its best to wait till i get there to change some sterling up into barbados dollars or just do it here now any ideas whats best??

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Currency Advice

Actually by following the recommendation of Trip Advisor on the FAQ page you would have found the following. Put "currency exchange" in the search box, click on date in the box in upper right corner and you would get 3 pages of extremely relevant and valid answers.

Noticed that both posters who complained about the search box are "new" to this site. If you look at other TA sites numerous people are referred to the search box. It's really quite simple and a valuable tool to be used when researching for travel.

When using a site like TA, with a number of people with many years experience in Barbados, give information that guides the poster to the best possible result, sometimes it's a direct answer and sometimes it a nudge to the search box. If someone doesn't like that or doesn't want to follow the advice, that's fine but don't criticize just because you want a personalized answer and didn't get it.

Have good day and enjoy Barbados whenever you go.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Currency Advice

Lloyd..

I am pleased that you did use the search box ...but I can assure you that many questions are repeatedly asked on here where it is evident that the search box has not been used

As far as this particular question is concerned there is (IMHO) no definitive answer ..... it does depend on your own circumstances and preferences

As far as forestred's reply is concerned ...I assume he is referring to cash changed at a bank ...well my actual research as described in my Trip Report) showed that you CAN obtain a better rate at a ATM ( depending on your card type) and that way does not involve carrying your passport or queuing ...which SOMETIMES can be VERY time consuming

..it is all about personal choice and the vast amounts of information available on this forum allows you to make that choice

Edited: 19 May 2010, 18:09
tyne and wear
Level Contributor
503 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Currency Advice

The whole purpose of this forum is to be able to ask for advice and information. I would suggest anyone who isn't interested in helping people out with their queries simply ignores any posting with a title they don't wish to know about or help with. As far as I'm concerned if there is any knowledge I have which can help a fellow traveller I am more than willing to help out, whether I have seen the question asked before or not.With reference to former postings I personally wouldn't change sterling into any other currency prior to landing in barbados because you can always change some stirling in the arrivals lounge for immediate use,then change sterling in the Bank at the Gap.To purchase bejan dollars in the Uk you usually get quite a poor rate for your pound

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
397 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Currency Advice

We always change our sterling at the bank in the Gap,waiting has never been an issue as the biggest queue was 2 people lol!!

Always be sensible when carrying cash,dont get it out in public,and a good idea is to split whatever cash you are carrying between the two of you.

Kim and Steve.

15. Re: Currency Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 22:23
Edited: 22 June 2010, 22:23
16. Re: Currency Advice

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 22:23
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Currency Advice

I am of the opinion that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. LLOYD's question was legit, IMO. It may interest a few of you to know that TripAdvisor has asked its destination experts to direct posters with popularly repeated queries to the search option. They programmed the search function into this website and they want folks to use it.

LLOYD, I hope that you found the answers that you were looking for and I certainly hope that you enjoy your travels in Bim.

Best,

BB

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Currency Advice

""Exactly my point Tyne & Wear it takes as much time to point people towards the search than it does to answer the question,if you cant help dont post. .""

Stjohns9 ....

I agree that this is sometimes the case ...but it does very much depend on the nature and complexity of the question/answer

The issue of currency and exchange rates is not a simple one and there is no definitive answer - it depends so much on the circumstances/preferences of the OP

To repeat or offer all the possibilities on this type of query ( especially when you do not know the circumstances of the OP) can be very time consuming and repetitive

In these cases it is IMHO preferable to refer to the existing information available via the search box and let the OP make up his/her own mind

Where the query is specific I will often cut and paste a rely from a previous reply or post a link to a specific answer to save the OP having to wade through the search box options.

TA have provided the search facility for a specific reason and it often is the best way to assess the various options that have been previously offered

As others have said the OP can always ignore the suggestion

19. Re: Currency Advice

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish