We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

We arrived in Barbados on 3rd September and brought some duty free cigarettes and tobacco with us from Gatwick Airport only to be greeted by the immigration officers who told us that we are no longer allowed to bring cigarettes or spirits onto the island. They have removed any duty free allowances that they had previously and consequently confiscated 1000 cigarettes that we had brought to see us through our three week stay. They ask whether you have anything to declare and if you say yes they confiscated the goods and if you say no then they search your bags - causing a long delay trying to get through. They used to have two channels - Green nothing to declare and red something to delcare but they have closed off the green channel and everyone has to go through the red channel.

I think we should have been told at Gatwick that this new rule applied instead of selling the goods to us in the first place.

So beware, don't buy any duty free at Gatwick as you won't get them through in Barbados.

mlsocialit
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

Sorry about your purchases, however I do find customs fustrating. I realise policies are in place for good measure however there should be someone policing custom officers as well. Straying slightly from this particular scenario, there are plenty of other scenarios where goods of travelers are taken ... for reasons " such as just because". Not a good feeling. If the items are not admissable by law then fine but otherwise its fustrating.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

Most unfortunate ....this matter has been discussed in a number of topics on this site

The 'ban' has in place for sometime ...certainly since we travelled in April and I believe it came in late last year and Barbados is not the only country to have done this

Virgin do apparently have notices informing passengers of this but I did not see any with BA ...but they did tell us about when I bought some duty free on the 'plane

...not much good if you have already bought them in Gatwick Duty Free!!!

Not really in the interest of the duty free shops to tell you this ( even though they know where you are travelling from your boarding card) ...but they should surely put up notices ... they are possibly selling you goods under false pretences

As they say let the buyer beware!!!!

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

I certainly didn't notice anything obvious at the Virgin check-in desk - you ould have thought they would make it obvious! And the Virgin inflight magazine still says that the allowance into Barbados is 200 per person. It didn't affect us as we don't smoke, but the hold-ups waiting to get through customs did.

Is this now normal for the green channel to be closed at BGI, or is it part of a go slow i saw mentioned a couple of weeks ago?

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

Bad luck !

Was you able to reclaim your cigarettes on your departure from Barbados ?

I did see several A4 posters at the Gatwick check in desk in June. But unfortunately they are not very eye catching.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

just wanted to check that it was in fact for liquor also? as i am not a smoker, i've never brought them in and always state nothing to declare even if i had wine that i purchased in canada. as i'm heading off in 4 weeks, i don't want to make the mistake of being charged for it when i arrive.

cheers, rootsie!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

it is only cig's. and you CAN pay the duties, but it's extortionate .. Well I only speak from what I've been told.

as stated many times over.. Cig's are NO LONGER DUTY FREE!!!.. but there are still allowances for everything else..(or most everything else).

London, United...
Level Contributor
802 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this, but wanted to add my bit.

When we flew Virgin to Barbados last year, I bought 200 cigs prior to our flight to collect whilst on the flight and I was advised that if I was pulled by customs, whilst they wouldn't confiscate my cigs, I would be charged either $10 or $15 Barbados dollars for bringing them in. I wasn't stopped and therefore not charged.

This year, we flew BA (August) and I bought 400 cigs at Gatwick. The only comment of a sales guy there was that he checked we were visiting a country outside of Europe. I didn't see anything in the BA magazine about any form of duty or anything about the likelihood of cigs being confiscated. Luckily, again we weren't stopped so nothing confiscated.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw and you were just unlucky? Dreadful though because those cigs would have cost quite a bit and you lost the money too...

Erica

Edited: 08 September 2010, 19:57
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

This may have been answered in other posts.........

When you arrive at Grantley Adams, are you able to purchase cigarettes from the duty free in the airport itself?

Dennis

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

When we purchased cigs in the Duty Free shop in the airport last Oct we were advised by the staff that if they were seen by Customs we would need to pay duty on them.

We placed them in our holdall and luckily were'nt stopped. The couple in front of us were though !

Edited: 09 September 2010, 00:14
Plymouth UK
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grantley Adams airport - do you have anything to declare?

when we got to the boarding gate the check in girl looked at our tickets and said oh you,ve done your shopping - she wrote what we had bought in duty free on the back of our boarding passes, so not sure what that was all about. Maybe the Gatwick staff inform immigration at Barbados of what to expect.