We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados dollars or US dollars

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
suffolk
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barbados dollars or US dollars

HI there coming over to Barbados for the 1st time in 10 days and have been looking at restaurant menus and bar prices ect seems all prices are in US dollars but do you pay in US or local money, look forward to your replies and can,t wait to come.

ps any idea how much taxi is from the airport to Butterfly Hotel Christchurch.

Thanks Dave

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

Dave

You can pay in USD or BDS but change will be given as BDS - there are a myriad of posts about which currency is best to take, travellers cheques, using ATMs so if you put those things in the search box here you'll be inundated with information!

I think a taxi from the airport to Butterfly will be about 40 BDS - just make sure you know which currency you are being quoted. There is a taxi supervisor at the airport and a list of fares so check before you set off. Taxi rip-offs are unusual in Barbados in my experience but always best to check first.

Have a good time!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

We just took US$ - accepted everywhere. You get the change in local currency so just kept the 2 seperate and used up all the local before we came home.

However, we should have known - we got the Barbados bug- we are going back.. and cannot wait !!!

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

Annnnnnndddd, we're off! <grabs a beer and waits for the show>

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
283 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

We took a combination of traveler's checks and cash in US currency. It was readily accepted everywhere. Change was given in Barbados dollars. There were a few days were we exchanged some of our money at our hotel because we were going to smaller places where it was more convenient to have the local currency.

We found that most prices were listed in Barbados dollars (menus etc).

Be careful, we did have a taxi driver that tried to rip us off. I guess he figured that we didn't know the price from the airport to our hotel. As soon as we called him on it, he quickly adjusted his price.

suffolk
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

Thanks for all the replies can,t wait to go

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

Well, as BP is sitting and watching, I'd better put my dollar's worth in ;O)

For what it's worth, I personally prefer to use the currency of the destination I'm visiting - as much about respect as anything else...

BUT, as the others have mentioned US$ are widely accepted across the island, bearing in mind you'll always get your change in BD$ (this is a legal requirement I think - as is quoting prices in BD$).

My preferred method for cash is to either withdraw from an ATM (in reasonable sums so as to make the charge worthwhile) or taking GBP with me and changing it at the bank.

Everyone has their preference and it seems that as far as best value goes, they are all much the same...

Agree with Almatt re the cost of a taxi, shouldn't be more than BD$40, confirm the cost and currency before you depart though, just to be on the safe side!

Happy travels...

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

"" For what it's worth, I personally prefer to use the currency of the destination I'm visiting - as much about respect as anything else... ""

...me too !!

8. Re: Barbados dollars or US dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 04:17