We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west coast

weymouth
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
west coast

on our recent months stay in barbados we had a wonderful holiday, we stayed in a rented villa on the maxwell coast. we were near the beach and oistins we visited the fish market often and found it cheap and entertaining whilest buying our fish, the people at the market were very friendly and helpfull. we also went to the west coast to see what it had to offer, i personally did not rate it , i found the beaches to narrow and nothing to offer, also there was nowhere to park as it was mostly right on the road.we went right up to port st charles as this was the beach we snorkled off of on one of the catamaran trip we were told on no uncertain terms that we could not sit on the sun beds that were on the beach .i found this very upsetting and it was the only time i felt i should not be on one of the beaches,all the local people are friendly and helpfull, why are some english and american people so spitefuland make others feel uncomfortable. we all hotfooted back down to more comfertable suroundings .well i hope others had a more agreeable time on the west coast, i personally wont be going back i will be very happy down on south coast. i do wish we had sun like them!!!!!!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west coast

Sunbeds are usually owned by the hotels or villas that are on those beaches.. the law states that the beaches are public, but it doesn't say the sunbeds on them have to be made public. There are vendors on some people that do rent sunbeds for those that need them.

I've felt the same way you did on beaches in the south.. Boatyard etc.. where they put out the sunbeds in all the prime spots and then, if you don't pay to use they facilities, you can't sit on those beaches cause the sunbeds are there. Even at Accra/Rockley Beach, where i go almost every weekend, during the winter season the "sunbed" population is greater than the beach space.. makes it difficult for a local with our own chairs to enjoy a nice day in the sun.. Soo.. it's not just the west coast.

glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: west coast

I agree with Sunnie, not unusual to not be allowed to sit on hotel sunbeds. The problem I suppose if you aren't familiar with the beach is knowing which beaches rent chairs and which have hotel only bed on them. We love stopping at Port St Charles and the sunbeds are actually put out for each person as they request them so I can't see how there would be many unoccupied ones anyway. We always find the beach really quiet and peaceful up there, there are often a few people enjoying the beach who aren't stopping at PSC who just bring their towels and sunbathe and swim. I have done that before when we have stopped at other places as we like to snorkel there, I have never felt uncomfortable doing that, all beaches are public so if someone has a problem with you doing that it is their problem. It is unecessary and rude to be mean to people, a simple, sorry the loungers are for residents only would be sufficient. I just don't want your experience to stop others experiencing what is a very nice beach.

I can understand how people can find some of the west coast beaches narrow but there are some lovely wide beaches, Paynes Bay, Sandy Lane, St.Albans, Heywoods to name a few. The problem often is more parking on the west coast and then visitors probably don't get to see some of the nicest beaches.

I'm pleased though as well that you had a great stay apart from that episode.

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: west coast

As mentioned above, the loungers are put out for the guests and owners of Port St Charles as and when they request them. Places like Almond Beach next door, have plenty of sunloungers set out but these are only for guests. I have been 'thrown off' these loungers at least twice as I have been using them but not staying at the hotel. I just take my towel and lie on the sand now. The beach at PSC is lovely and wide with good swimming off of it. Mullins is a beach that will rent out chairs, but any beach that has a hotel next to it, will not allow non guests/residents to use their chairs as they are the property of the hotel.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: west coast

Hi, help please, I am going to Barbados soon and wanted to know of any good bars in St Joseph as thats where I will be staying, any ideas?

5. Re: west coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 09:16
Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish