We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

premium economy to barbados

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
premium economy to barbados

Hi

has anyone flown premium economy to barbados. Is it worth the money ?

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: premium economy to barbados

I have flown it a number of times with Virgin but since prices went up we have reverted to economy.

I guess it depends what you are looking for and how much you get the seats for. I have always been on the older planes from Gatwick where most of PE is upstairs and I think it is so much better - generally quieter (I say "generally" because I was once in front of the twins from hell on the way out - nightmare!), good service and no queues for the loos. Very spacious too as there are only 4 seats across with a wide aisle and low level baggage storage between the windows and seats.

You get your glass of bubbly before take off and will get your choice of meal, plus there's usually papers and a fruit bowl.

The main problem I have found more recently is that the Virgin planes from Gatwick are now very old, tatty and the seats can be uncomfortable, IFE not working etc and I begrudge paying more money for that. Would fly PE again though if I could get a good deal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
737 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: premium economy to barbados

We flew Premium Economy with Virgin when we went to Barbados in May, we've just booked to return to Barbados in November but we've reverted to flying in Economy.

I thought that flying PE was good but I'm just not sure that it was worth the money to do so. We're not the biggest people in the world so although the increased legroom and seat space was very welcome I'm not sure that we really saw the benefit. I've been lucky to fly Business Class and First class with work and they're both a considerably better and noticably different experience to flying economy, I never really got that feeling with PE.

There are a few benefits flying PE (smaller / quieter cabin, bigger seats / more legroom, pre flight drink etc..) but I'm just not convinced that it's worth the extra money, maybe it is on the way home when it's nice to get a bit of sleep.

I'll probably change my mind after we fly in economy again in November but there we go !

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: premium economy to barbados

I have flown PE with Virgin a few times and do not really think it is worth the extra money, especially if you get stuck with a seat downstairs.

I recently flew economy with Virgin and managed to get a seat in 'the bubble' upstairs. There were only 33 economy seats and a few Upper class. This happens only on certain planes that Virgin use. I felt like I was sitting in a PE area but perhaps with just a little less leg room. Same food etc in PE and economy and the 'champagne' that you get is actually sparkling wine. Grab any free newspapers at the boarding gate for all passengers too.

These economy seats upstairs are brilliant but hard to get!

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: premium economy to barbados

I also flew economy upstairs with VS last month. For sure, I will try to prebook these seats now each time I fly. I was extra lucky as on the flight back to Barbados, I had a row of 3 seats to my self so was able to spread out, didnt need to pay extra and got a flat bed!! lol.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: premium economy to barbados

Agree pretty much with everything the other posters have said. We usually fly PE (especially on the way home) but we are asking ourselves if the additional cost is worth it. The cabin in the "bubble" is best as it is quieter and the service is better generally. We did manage a few hours sleep on the way back last time. If we get a hood deal on PE fares we will do it again but .....

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: premium economy to barbados

Glittergirl

LOL .... You probably saved yourself about £2,000 there!

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: premium economy to barbados

Yep, what a saving!! The opposite row of 3 were also empty, but can't stretch that far! lol. The flight was really quiet, which I loved. Hope all my future flights are like that, but I doubt it.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: premium economy to barbados

It's interesting - the return flight configuration for us next March is showing as the one with Upper and economy in the bubble. All of the rows of 3 taken so far - but the last few times we've flown, I've lost count how often the seats seem to be reallocated so I check quite often and re-select. I'll keep my eye on those. Failing that we have got and usually go for one of the pairs at the rear.

We flew back PE in 2010 in the bubble - despite 5 seat reallocations in the week before our return (literaly)...we were very lucky to get seats there. Shabby seats or not, I really preferred it to economy and would go again like a shot BUT on balance I'd rather save it the cost (even with miles plus money which we use) or add it to the dining out budget. Knowing we booked as soon as seats were released to get bubble seats and nearly lost them - to be honest I can do without that stress on the trip (constantly checking the seat plan) as I would not want to have paid the extra and be downstairs on the older planes with fabric seats. I take small comfort in that.

If you can afford it and are prepared not to be disappointed with any of the possible worse case scenarios with PE seat type and location - I think it is better than economy.

As an aside - I'm so far intrigued how few seats appear to be selected on our seat plans for March 2012 - going since 2006 in March, at this point in the year I have never seen it so empty.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: premium economy to barbados

I flew PE in August last year for the first time and loved the 'bubble' cabin experience. It was much quieter and I liked the feeling of less people in the aircraft space compared to the main cabin. One of my main reasons for buying a more expensive PE ticket was to get the increased baggage allowance (two 25k suitcases).

I'm sure someone will pop up now and tell me it would have been cheaper for me to just pay excess baggage!!!

I'm flying PE again at the end of the month and would offer a cautionary warning which I learnt from my own experience. Don't book your flights too far in advance of your intended flying date.

I booked my latest flights 9 months ago for a June 2011 flight which was a mistake because the price dropped around the 'six months mark' before flight date. I was a touch miffed to say the least. At least I used some of my air miles to reduce the cost but obviously could have saved more by booking later.

I also agree with Charlie Mouse. Only today I found out that my reserved seats in the PE 'bubble cabin' which I reserved 9 months ago were no longer reserved for me.

Fortunately I managed to reserve a preferred window seat in the upper deck cabin outbound as there were a few available. On the inward flight there were only 2 seats left to reserve (both window seats) so I was relieved.

I am going to take Charlie Mouseadvise ace and keep checking my reserved seats to make sure they are not removed by Virgin again before I fly.

Maybe that's another good reason for not booking too far in advance......Virgin Atlantic will not keep your seat reservations!

You live and learn something new everyday!

Tia :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: premium economy to barbados

I am going to take Charlie Mouse's advice and keep checking my reserved seats to make sure they are not removed by Virgin again before I fly.

Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish
Recent Conversations