We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

Which Christ Church Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

This will be my first time in Barbados, I like to emerse myself in as much local custom as possible when possible. Just picture this- i've just arrived late afternoon on a friday, checked into my hotel(Butterfly Beach), quick shower and im ready for my first ever bajan experience, i'm guessing a cheeky rum punch at the hotel, Are there different variety's, if so what would you choose, off on the reggae bus or public transport to Oistins. I believe there is a vast amount of choice, with all your experience, and i know all about personal choice, but which eatery? and even more importantly what meal do I go for.? What are the things that are making you smile just thinking about Barbados, your help is greatly apprechiated.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

w00dster

On that first day after the rum punch and shower, I'd say head off to Oistins around 6:30 to 7pm. Visit Hot Legendary Fish Cakes for your appetisers. It's right by the roadside. They, IMHO, sell the BEST fish cakes in Oistins. Purchase about for or six to start with. Get a cold beer. Then move onto the other stalls where you can choose from grilled mahi mahi, grilled marlin, panfried snapper, fried flying fish and even grilled or bbq chicken! Be sure to get breadfruit chips, macaroni pie, rice & peas and tossed salad to go with it. Some vendors also do excellent kebabs.

After dinner, indulge in the local entertainment which is provided for free. Then hop on the bus back to Butterlfy Beach around 10:30 or 11pm.

The things that make me smile and proud to be a Barbadian are fish cakes, sweet bread, cassava pone, conkies, macaroni pie, flying fish and MOUNT GAY RUM! No doubt. Simple as...

Regards

Edited: 01 August 2011, 13:48
Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

Well for me, my target when I first arrive is to have a Banks beer, a Mount Gay & coke and flying fish in the first day!

At Oistins I always use George's Fish Net (long queue), but a number of my friends also swear by Pat's Place (next to big stage). I like all the fish on th eisland, so Dolphin (Mahi Mahi), Swordfish, Marlin etc are all good for me. I also like the fish cakes you can buy.

Enjoy!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

Two quality reply's thank you, what are cassava pone and conkies? P.s. I travel quite a bit ,and use trip advisor often. I am realy impressed with the advice and posts today. Please keep it up you are providing an outstanding service.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

w00dster

Cassva pone is a Barbadian delicacy made with grated cassava, coconut, spices, margarine and flour. It's high in cholesterol but very tasty.

Conkies is another Barbadian delicacy, predominantly made in November around our Independence Day. These are made with corn flour, spices, grated pumpkin, margarine, coconut and a bit of plain flour. They are wrapped in the leaves of local banana trees and steamed for about 45 mins. When finished they should be solid and are quite tasty. Once again, high in cholesterol.

If you visit the deli area of Super Centre Oistins you should find conkies there year-round for about $4.50 BBD each.

You're welcome

Regards

Edited: 01 August 2011, 14:11
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

Thanks very much, my mouth is watering and i'm getting a very good feeling about this trip.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

w00dster

You should! I should also mention, Super Centre's Deli at Oistins is an excellent place to try high quality local food at an affordable price. Even as a local I eat there when my mom is too tired to cook or cooks something I despise.

Regards

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

My mother in law did fish cakes & cassava pone this weekend her cooking keeps me going until we visit.

You asked what makes you smile well for me there are many things but 2 of them are the colour of the ocean and the first time the frogs 'start' in the evening and I know I have come home.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

Awesome reply's keep them coming, this place is getter better and better by the minute. Thanks

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

Just love the pan fried snapper and also flying fish! Stay for a while at Oistins after you have eaten to soak up the local atmosphere.

What makes me smile is stepping off that plane and the warmth hitting you, my first dip in the ocean, and then sitting drinking a rum&coke, watching the sunset and listening to those little frogs. Then I know I am back!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on food and drink, What makes you smile?

w00dster

Chefette Restaurant at Rockley, just down the road from Butterfly Beach has a Barbeque Barn inside. Chefette is our local fast food joint. Try the following:

Selection of Rotis - Chicken & Potato, Curried Potato, Beef & Potato, All Chicken. Rotis range between $6 and $10 each.

Sandwiches - Broasted Chicken Breast, Flying Fish Deluxe (seasonal). Sandwiches are $10.25 if I remember correctly.

Over in the Barn, the food is excellent but it not as casual in the other half. The meals are absolutely delicious. I personally like the bbq spare ribs with a side of macaroni pie, cole slaw and rice and peas. This meal usually costs me $29.95. The Vanilla Cheescake is to DIE FOR.... honestly! That costs $7.

All Prices BBD.