We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating gluten free

Oakville, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
eating gluten free

Is it possible to eat gluten free at restaurants and hotels in barbados

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating gluten free

mary5355

For the large part, yes.

When I worked as a waiter I remember quite often having to liase between guests and the chef on what items persons who needed gluten free could order, so I would really recommend you do the same. The verdict was that there were several items they could order, but with and without certain sauces for example. Just ask to speak to the Chef wherever you dine to ensure the means you consume are safe. Restaurants will literally go out of their way, more often than not, to accommodate guests with requirements such as this.

I would also advise you to bring along stuff such as rice cakes, gluten free bread and biscuits with you. Although they are available in Barbados at our leading supermarket Super Centre, they are quite pricy here.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Edited: 13 April 2012, 01:57
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating gluten free

If you go to this link you'll find quite a few posts about gluten free foods. You can also put gluten free in the search box and you'll find additional information. tripadvisor.com/…37666168

Exmouth England
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating gluten free

Yes absolutely, my sister is coeliac and she never has any problems finding something to eat. She normally packs a couple of loaves of her gluten free bread so that she can have toast in the mornings. Look out for Butterfly Sue on here as she is also on a gluten free diet and actually lives on the island. Hope this helps :-)

Edited: 13 April 2012, 14:05
Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating gluten free

I know this post is a bit old but anyone searching may find this info interesting. I was looking at the restaurant section on here and saw a new name for me 'Island Plates' in Speightstown. They have a FB page, In the pictures it advertises Gluten Free food. Their food looks wonderful I will add it to my list. Their banana, oats & almond back sound wonderful and their curries look tasty.

https:/…IslandPlates

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating gluten free

I haven't been to Island Plates in Speightstown yet so can't comment but will do a review once I've been. Being Coeliac in Barbados isn't easy but when my British friends visit they do bring me things in lieu of fruit!! As has been said if you are eating in restaurants just make the chef aware. This condition is getting more common 1 in 100 people in UK have it and I'm fighting the cause over here as there must be people out here with it as well.

I would advise you to bring bread biscuits crackers and any other things you like with you!! Its a good job bananas are GF!!!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: eating gluten free

We ate at Island Plates in Speightstown several times when we were there in May. We did not eat the gluten-free options, but they seemed to be offered daily. Nothing fancy, just delicious homemade food at very reasonable prices served by friendly owners. Definately would recommend you visiting there!

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating gluten free

Also have a coeliac daughter and can't recommend Naru highly enough for the care they took over her meals there.

8. Re: eating gluten free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish
Recent Conversations