We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

Just curious as to why trip advisor would make "SoCo Hotel" a closed topic.

What could possibly have been said for them to deem the content inappropriate. Apparently SoCo said they were not allowed to post on trip advisor, but they have been doing so for many weeks.

I don't get it, so wondered if anybody could explain it to me.

Thanks

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

Wondered that too. The whole closing and deleting of threads is mysterious. Most of us are responsible adults, and a little bit of an explanation would help us understand. Seemingly the removal of threads is not exactly consistent. I'd give this thread another hour at most. Sigh.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

The thread really had degenerated into a bashing of not only the hotel but the booking agents as well...since the SOCO rep who had been posting was reportedly told to not post, presumably by the Soco people and her bosses, then there is no point in continuing. Soco and the booking company have made it obvious they have no intention of responding in a public forum.Since we can't get a response from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak, there is no need for rumours and innuendo. If and when the hotel opens I am sure we will see reviews. Until then there is no point beating a dead horse, at least thats how I see it!

Barbados
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

Except that the hotel is still a shell (I drove past on Saturday - you can see right through the rooms, there is nothing in them!) and they have been taking bookings for August! Most likely Tropical Sky will accomodate all of those people somewhere else as promised, but if it were me with a reservation I'd want to know that chances are very high that I wouldn't end up at the hotel I thought I was going to be at. And I'd want to know where I was going to end up - I'm a planner by nature and would hate to not know where I was going to be staying! So I don't think the thread was necessarily irrelevant.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

You wold think that the booking companies would know the hotel is not ready and be contacting their customers to refund or offer an alternative. Once the customer has paid the booking company I don't think it is the customer's responsibility to make sure things go as planned, that is what the booking company is paid for.

Montreal QC
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

I don't even know where to begin with this whole SoCo thing. I believe the thread was relevant because what the SoCo people are doing is totally unethical. They're basically knowingly booking people to a new hotel that appears to be amazing on paper knowing full well they're going to relocate them. Like Bajanswife mentioned, I would want to know where I'm ending up.

It isn't so much that I have a problem with what SoCo is doing but more-so the way they've gone about it. They've stopped at nothing to cover up this fact. Having TA delete threads etc. The people of TA are still going to tell folks whenever they ask guys, so stop deleting the threads. If the SoCo people put half as much effort into resolving this issue as they've done covering it up, it would be a non-issue.

Instead their lack of ethics and care has allowed this to go from a minor issue to a complete and total lack of business ethics on their part. They think they can keep people in the dark but honestly they need to wake up and realize this is an age where information flows freely. We have the internet and no amount of TA deleting posts or SoCo blatantly withholding the truth is going to change that. People are still going to tell those who ask about SoCo not to go until they smarten up and show they actually have some kind of customer service skills. If this is any indication of how the hotel will be run then I don't ever want to go there. The way they're treating this situation makes me feel they're nothing but a pack of con artists. I want them to be successful because I want Barbados to be successful and for the economy to boom, but that said these guys make it very hard to be in their corner.

@SoCo: Please just wake up and stop living in the 1950's. This is 2012, people know your hotel isn't ready and answering some legitimate questions and handling the situation in a more ethical way only serves to give your hotel a better reputation, and we shouldn't need to plead with you guys just to get a response to legitimate concerns.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 19:49
england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

Well said Steve P.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

The Hotel should be re-named the NoGo Hotel ;-P

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

Part of me says I would like to know where I am going but I have come to Barbados with nowhere booked and got a great deal at the Bougainvillea. For me it is if I book somewhere that is where I want to stay, on that road, on that beach, on that basis, with those facilities, they should not take my money if that could not (barring acts of god) fulfil my booking.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

MrsBB, Sounds like a perfect name for the hotel....lol....

Thanks goodness I haven't booked there, I would be mighty upset.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why did trip advisor make SoCo Hotel a closed topic

I was surprised that so many blatant self-promotion posts by SoCoHoel were allowed in the first place by TA. They were not only answering the questions posed (albeit incorrectly as it now seems) but also touting their many advantages and promoting their rates, location, rooms etc. This kind of posting by business owners isn't generally allowed and I'm surprised it went on as long as it did.

Get answers to your questions about Christ Church Parish
Recent Conversations