We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid the tourist crowds?

Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid the tourist crowds?

Hello, we are thinking of taking a trip in winter 2018 (february-march maybe), but we can't find the information we need.

Is there a lot of tourists on the island, and what places should we just avoid if we do not want to spend our holiday jammed between rowdy families?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid the tourist crowds?

Really, the only time/place there are ever any crowds is around the cruise ship docks and downtown when one or more large cruise ships are in port. Even then, most of the cruisers are back on board by 6 - 7 PM so things settle down again. Bonaire is not like some of the other more popular/crowded destinations.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
138 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid the tourist crowds?

We were there this year(2017) at that same time (going back in 2018 same time) and had no issue with crowds. I did check the cruise ship schedule and as AmateurGO stated above, avoid downtown when they are in port. And, we did go into town for dinner on a couple nights they were in port but if you plan that around what time the ship departs, you won't have an issue. We stayed in Sabadeco so you could see the ships coming in early. It is a beautiful island, snorkeling from shore is great & driving around is so easy. Never felt unsafe or had any issue with our vehicle being tampered with. If you're going to stay right in town, it may be more of an issue so keep that in mind when looking for lodging. I've had great success with VRBO-not only on Bonaire but also several other islands if you're into being in a house.

Napanee, Ontario
Level Contributor
438 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid the tourist crowds?

It's a very peaceful quiet island and I would never consider it rowdy at all. You will love it!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid the tourist crowds?

Go diving. Never see it crowded down there.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid the tourist crowds?

Kralendijk can be crowded when there is a cruiseship. For the rest it is peaceful.

@NDL, last time I was at the southpier it was actually crowded under water.... ;)

Reply to: Avoid the tourist crowds?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire