We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

I am trying to decide whether to spend 2 weeks or 3 weeks on Bonaire. We are only snorkelers and fairly active (and are not into the shopping), so I am trying to get a feel for what else can we do there to fill our time and not to feel "well, we did this already". thank you for any pointers.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

There are plenty of other things to do... In addition to snorkeling (where you can snorkel two or three differnt spots each day for 3 weeks and never repeat):

- Kayaking the mangroves

- Try windsurfing (best place in the world to do this.)

- Visit the donkey sanctuary and butterfly farm

- explore the caves and Indian markings

- Explore/hike the national park

And I'ms sure others will add to the list.

We have been visiting for 2 weeks at a time (as windsurfers) but that is mainly because that is as long as we can be gone from home at a time.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

In addition to the suggestions from AmateurGO you can consider:

guided snorkel with Renee

sail and snorkel on the Woodwind

tour the salt operation

water taxi to Klein Bonaire

If you do not have a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy you should get one as it will let you know all about the wide variety of snorkel sites.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

thank you for great suggestions. I have to research the cost of the visit, too. It seems there are not many budget options on this island.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

To keep the cost down I suggest renting a place with a kitchen so you can do some meals "at home." Budget options include Black Durgon, Divers Paradise, Golden Reef Inn. Check out www.infobonaire.com and go to the budget lodging section where you will find a great list, including realtors who can help you.

We stock up on breakfast and lunch foods at the local grocery stores. Best bets include More For Less, Warehouse, Cash and Carry, Progresso, Cultimara. You can do very reasonable dinners at Bobbe Jan's, Pasa Bon Pizza, El Fagoen, Plazita Limena, and China Nobo. If you are adventurous you can get great food at the local "snacks". You can also get whole roasted chickens on Saturday mornings at the Carneceria Latina -- enough for several meals for 2 people.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

Boleslav, welcome soon..I have been booking trips to the Caribbean for 23 years. Bonaire is very budget minded. We have accommodations 65 USD a night and up. Dine on lovely BBQ for 6 USD pp. Dine on fresh local fish for 13 USD a person. Trucks are 196 a week plus tax and optional insurance. I could go on and on. Just back from Anguilla, MUCH more expensive..Antigua the same.

We have no shopping really here..a few trinket shops and a few jewelers. Adding to what folks already said, mountain biking, kite surfing, windsurfing, horseback riding, Butterfly Farm, land sailing, star gazing....

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

Great info, thank you. I've read that the food on Bonaire is very expensive- could you give me an idea what is one expected to pay for groceries there (cheese, salami, fruits, etc?)

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

I'm not the normal food shopper here at home, so my view may be a little off, but.... My impression is that most food in Bonaire is a little more expensive than at home, but not a lot, perhaps 20-30% more expensive in general. Some things are less expensive; we found several very good wines for what I thought was a very reasonable price.

New England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

Fresh milk can cost you almost 10 dollars a gallon but that is the only thing that I can think of that is considerably higher than in the US. At More for Less you can get very reasonably priced fruits and vegetables from South America for little more than in the US. Fresh bread from Warehouse, Cultimara and Exito are yummy and fairly equal in price to what I spend here for freshly made bread. Prices for yogurt, coffee, pasta are all reasonable.

If you shop for brands from home you will find it costs more but if you are willing to look around, try new things, eat brands from Holland or South America you can save on groceries. One thing to know ... it is hard to go to the store with a list because the shelves may not have what you are looking for even if they did 2 days earlier. You need to be flexible and maybe visit more than one store on any one shopping trip. I consider it part of the fun of Bonaire!!

9. Re: will 2 weeks keep me occupied on Bonaire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2010, 06:18