We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

We stayed here for two weeks in October 2009. We were the first people here following a fire, and everything had been renewed. Unfortunately the management people had not given the place a proper shake down prior to our arrival.

The stove did not work for the first week of our stay, the electric system and plumbing all had issues. We justified paying a huge price for the place due to its beauty (which is real....) and the concept that we could cook in. With no stove we ended up eating out most nights, and using a Weber grill and microwave for other meals. I will say the management people from Monday following our arrival were there almost every day, but it does not forgive renting out a house for a huge price that was not functional. Even the mosquito nets were not hung properly, and there were none in two of the bedrooms -- and in this house they are crucial.

The setting of this place is spectacular, and the design fascinating. Sadly, the house design also makes it impossible to keep mosquitos and small critters out. In addition to loads of mosquitos we had to deal with scorpions, geckos, and crabs in the house.

Bonaire is famous for its bugs, and we had written to the agent specifically about several issues, including mosquitos. We got a stock reply that mosquitos are around, but not a problem right on the ocean. The truth is that there is standing water all over in the volcanic rock on this part of the island, and the agent gave us a bottle of "Off" on arrival, so they knew better.

Other problems with the house include the fact that the kitchen is at best a two person kitchen, so even with a working stove it is not a place for a group to gather and prepare a large meal. The shower for the master bedroom has a floor to ceiling clear glass window facing the pool, so if you are modest at all, this is not the place for you! Again, we knew from pictures about the shower, but we asked about the kitchen and were told there was plenty of space. Not so.

Our "take aways" from this experience were that you have to be very careful what you ask, and use your instincts rather than trust the agents word on a place you are considering renting from this group. They were responsive to a degree, but there was never a serious apology for the lack of cooking ability, and I strongly suspect they are going to paper over the numerous electric problems (we went dark a couple of times -- some island wide, but some just our house....) After two weeks I was $10,000 poorer and overall not happy after being eaten alive and spending a good part of my "vacation" being in the house with workmen dealing with someone else's problems.

This house is utterly spectacular, and utterly unlivable.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

ah, the ever famous first post with a negative point of view...

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

First post to here, but review when I have something to say. third trip for me to Bonaire. I will go back for the diving, but I will continue to grill owners and agents about their facilities, and when the are not up to par I will report.

At $2000 a week I would not have complained about much other than the bad electric and non-working stove. But at a cost of over $10,000 for two weeks, it is only reasonable to expect that everything be in tip top order.

I also want to be sure that people know there is a serious design flaw -- the open outdoor living aspect of this house means it can not be closed up tightly -- and for many people, scorpions, geckos, and numerous flying and crawling bugs in the bedroom is not synonymous with a very high end vacation rental.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

I have a hard time imaging paying $5K a week for anything, especially off-season.

4. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 02:26
New York
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

We have stayed in Villa Salentein during the month of December and I have to say that we found this property an absolute dream. Especially the design and location of the villa are spectacular, because you have a full 180 view of the ocean at all times. This makes it light and airy, unlike three other villa's we stayed in on the island. My family and me found this really something special.

Maybe the fact you stayed in the villa right after it being rebuilt, makes the price a discounted one, I think. We payed more and found it everything worth while. Also the month of October on the Antilles is known for it's warmth and also more mosquitos.

We are planning another trip to Salentein next year, something we normally don't do, staying at the same house.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

What are the other villas you tried? We do have more mossies when it rains but alas, this season has been the worst drought ...

Welcome to your first TA post..it is wonderful to counter such a negative post..

I am suspicious of first time posts all the time (good and bad)..sorry for that..

7. Re: Villa Salentein Bonaire Oceanfront Villas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire