We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

Durham Calif
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

We will be in Bonaire on Jan 1 from 7 am to 2 pm and want to know where Maskarada will be and how to get there? Are there any other activities on New Years Day?

New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

Maskarada typically takes place at the residence of the Lt governor though the last one was in Sabadeco. It then moves to the various neighbohoods. Info is usually available in December from the Bonaire Insider and the Bonaire Reporter. Both are available on line.

Fireworks the night of Dec 31 into the early morning hours of the New Year are always amazing and may still be going on at 7am when you arrive.

Durham Calif
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

Where is the Lt. Governor;s house and where is Sabadeco? Is this something that shows the local culture? Thanks for the information!

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

LOL...Blue, if they did go into the wee hours til 7 AM my dogs would not last..I tell you..the fireworks end around 1 AM although a few late night owls do shoot off a few here and there but nothing at 7 AM..can you imagine if they went that long?? I tell you, I dread it more and more each year. It was fun the first few New Years Eves..no more..it's too much too long....sorry to be a party pooper...where do you watch them typically?

The Lt. Gov. is next to Plaza and Sabadeco is a neighborhood north of the dive resorts.

Edited: 20 September 2010, 01:45
New England
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

Caribchikita, remember when the entire month of Dec meant fireworks going off at random times?? You would be driving down the road and think you had blown a tire. I remember flying out on the Eagle one New year's day and fireworks were still going off in isolated pockets. Over the years I have watched them from Hato and on the hill in Republiek -- great view from there! For the dogs and my sleep I am glad they now end earlier!

5. Re: Maskarada Jan 1, 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 05:45
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire