We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-10-10

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
10-10-10

Today Bonaire, Saba and Statia are no longer part of the former Netherland Antilles. All three islands decided to become "municipalities" of the Netherlands and now will be referrred to as the Dutch Caribbean. The change is a controversial matter amongst locals and politicians. It is a hopeful time for all. With the change new tax laws, improvements in infrastructure will occur and Jan. 1, 2011 the introduction of the USD as the legal tender. Good bye Netherland Antilles, welcome the Dutch Caribbean.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-10-10

Congratulations and, in some ways, perhaps condolences, to Bonaire, Saba and Statia. It will be interesting to see what changes will come about because of this.

I do find it somewhat curious that an apparent closer relationship with the Netherlands brings along with it the adoption of the USD as the official currency. Probably good on a practical level, but still a little strange to me.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-10-10

It is a historic moment and for some a sad one to see the islands split up. When you think a good union will make you stronger some of us think standing on our own will be the best thing to do (I refer to Curacao and Sint Martin). In my opinion nobody made a real effort to make the union work instead they were blaming each other for their own failures. The ABC islands share a common language but still it seems there is a language barrier. Maybe at one point in the future we will see the need to unite again. All the best for all the islands.

Now all fo a sudden a big part of my family lives in a different country. Europe is only 20 minutes away.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-10-10

Will Bonaire now have the Dutch flag also?

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10-10-10

Yes Roger..Those who reside in CUR and SXM and own property here have different tax laws even. If i go into either country I enter as a tourist. Many changes..we are all waiting and wondering. The USD is very good. The Euro would have devastated our economy at the time it was being decided. Saba and Statia are close to SXM and other islands that really are close to the USD more so that we are. It is going to be interesting. As an aside the legal currency in Ecuador is the USD.

5. Re: 10-10-10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 October 2010, 20:38
Edited: 22 October 2010, 20:38
6. Re: 10-10-10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire