We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Bonaire

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Bonaire

Hi All,

Next week my BF and I (late 20s) are heading to Bonaire then Curacao. We've never dived but have snorkled, our fave so far is the Ka'anapali beach, Black Rock in Maui. Can anyone advise how much it will be to get a cab from Airport to Divi Flamingo? We are considering getting a car the entire time vs getting a car only the 2nd portion of the trip. Since we are new at snorkeling and have never dived (plan on trying at least once) we figure we can stay at Divi for first few days then venture off.

Also, can anyone advise any great places to snorkel besides Klein bonaire? thanks! can't wait :)

Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Bonaire

I'm sure you're both going to have a great time on Bonaire. the taxi rates from the airport are set by the government. From the airport to Divi Flamingo is $9.00.

See this link...

http://www.infobonaire.com/taxirates.html

There are many great spots for snorkeling. Try the yellow hut which is located across from the airport about 100 yards south of Port Bonaire.

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Bonaire

You will be able to do some great snorkeling right in front of the Divi. I would recommend getting a car so that you can try some of the other great spots around the island. It is fun to toss your snorkel gear and some water bottles in your vehicle and stop at spots that you want to try. You might want to pick up a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy once you get to Bonaire as it will give you lots of information about which sites are excellent for snorkelers.

If you are going to try diving, the folks at the Divi dive shop are great and you will enjoy working with them.

Have fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Bonaire

VINIBU, thanks for the info. very helpful! i hate the feeling of getting hustled with as tourists! Yello hut looks great, will try. thank you!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
292 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Bonaire

bluewaterdiva, yes we def do plan on going right in front of DIVI, that's partly the reason we are staying there to save some money on renting a car. The latter part of the trip we will rent a car and explore. Is klein bonaire far from DIVI? how do i find out time the ferry leaves. thanks!

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Bonaire

Klein Bonaire is not far at all. You can see it from shore. Not sure about the times of the water taxi to Klein Bonaire but I am sure the folks at Divi can help you out. You might also enjoy a trip on the Woodwind www.woodwindbonaire.com which leaves from Divi or a guided snorkel with Renee www.infobonaire.com/reneesnorkeltrips.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Bonaire

I think the first water taxi ( in front of It Rains Fishes restaurant ) goes out at 10:00am. We enjoyed snorkeling there and also really enjoyed the snorkeling offshore from the Beach Hut and windsurfer place near Sorobon.

you have to walk out in waist deep water for about 20 min to get near the reef but we felt the walk was part of the fun. The coral is in good shape out there and we saw lots of fish. Just go on a calm day .

Another spot we enjoyed was Wayaka II in the National Park. If you do rent a car this is worth a visit .

These three spots are easy sandy entry but bear in mind that a lot ot the other sites you might visit are over coral rubble and you will need some hard sole booties and open back fins. We really enjoyed the salt pier too but this is a typical Bonaire entry that is a little trickier.

Have fun.

Washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Bonaire

I second the Yellow Hut recommendation, excellent snorkeling. Try a night snorkel in front of the Divi (we went with Renee). When you do have the car, snorkel up at Karpata too. I think that the snorkeling in Lac Bay (from Sorobon Beach) is some of the best in the world! We wrote a page with pics about our experience and specific instructions on the walk here: tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-lac-bay.ht…

8. Re: First time in Bonaire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Bonaire